HG39. Escape

Chapter Thirty Nine

The sound of beeping sounds and the smell of antiseptic are what I awoken to. The smell came through my nose, then to my lungs and suddenly I jolted up. I couldn't breath. I could feel all the blood from my face leaving.

I could hear Mama shouting somewhere near me, but I couldn't see her. My eyes were filled with tears. My vision was blurry. I couldn't find a way to breathe. It felt like I forgot how to inhale or exhale. I could feel hands, I'm assuming the hands belong to nurses or doctors, some things being injected in my body, someone panicking and a hand holding my left hand tightly.

And that's when I breathed properly.

The hand in my left hand grasped my hand tighter.

And I breathed better. My lungs regained oxygen and suddenly, I felt okay.

"Okay, inhale iho." A man's voice was the first thing that I heard when I finally regained breath. "Now, exhale." I nodded and held the hand tighter.

"Lay back down." he ordered once again, and I did. "Stay still for a while. You may open your eyes in a few moments, but stay still first." I nodded again.

Moments later, someone was checking my blood pressure and stuffs that I could not really think of.

All that I could think of, was the hand that's tightly holding mine.

I heard the doctor, I'm assuming the man was my doctor, talk to Mama, Mama asking questions about stuffs, the doctor giving her advices and prescriptions and bla bla bla.

Soon, the door slowly slammed shut and I felt a weight beside me. I felt Mama's hand carrass my cheek, then my hair.

"DJ, 'nak, gutom ka ba?" That's when I slowly opened my eyes. I shut it close again since the blinding light caused me pain in the eyes. "Sige, matulog ka na muna."

Umiling ako. I don't want to sleep.

I re-opened my eyes and the first person I saw was....

Aria?

"Hi, DJ." She smiled. My eyes found our hands being intertwined.

And that's when a pang of disappointment hit me.

I awkwardly let her hand go and she sighed. "You thought it was Kath, didn't you?" She asked then smiled. "You're really whipped."

"Where is she?" I asked. Aria laughed.

"Before I answer that, let me tell you something." She started then chuckled for a bit. "I'm pretty sure you wanted to call Kath last night, pero you must have been so weak, you weren't able to see who you were calling."

"Oh, sorry." I mumbled. "Uh, naabala pa kita."

She smiled. "That's okay."

"Okay, so where is she?" I asked, this time, eager to know.

"I don't really know." She sighed. "I called her this morning, pero she never answered my calls and I sent her loads of text messages."

"Anong oras na ba?" I asked.

"7 in the evening." She stated as she looked at her wrist watch. "The others are here a while ago, akala nila bukas ka pa magigising kaya umuwi na sila." she mumbled.

"Bakit andito ka pa?" I asked. "Uhm, don't take it the wrong way."

"Uh-uhm... no reason." She muttered under her breath. "Wala kasing kasama si Tita Karla, kaya andito ako."

"Ma?" I called Mama, ignoring Aria. Mama, who was reading the doctor's prescription, looked at me. "Anong sabi ng doctor? Kailan ako mamakalabas?"

She sighed. "Hindi ka pa-"