HG19. Realizations

Chapter Nineteen

She's holding a paper bag on her left hand and her phone on her right hand as she tapped on the screen of it. Texting? Again?

"You might as well pay attention on the floor." I muttered quietly and continued reading this month's report.

"Huh?" she asked still looking at her phone.

"Ano bang ginagawa mo dito?" tanong ko.

There, she finally looked at me. "Why are you so grumpy?" She giggled and kept her phone on her bag, that was simply hanging on her shoulder. "I brought you lunch, if that makes you feel better."

"May kailangan ka ba, Ms. Bernardo?" tanong ko.

She giggled. "I'm just being nice!" she defended.

"Sus. May kailangan ka lang. What is it?" tanong ko.

Umiling siya. "I'm serious, I'm just being nice." sabi niya ulit.

I looked at her in disbelief, then laughed. "I don't trust you enough, baka may lason yan."

"If I wanted to kill you, I would have ripped your head off using your secretary's scissors or skinned you with a nailcutter." sabi niya. Tumawa lang ako. "Masyado naman kasi akong mabait kung lalasunin kita, after what you've done."

She mumbled the last part, little did she know that I heard it.

"Umupo ka nga." sabi ko, and she did. "Ano ba yang niluto mo?"

"Adobo," she answered proudly. "nagpaturo ako kay Aling Ting. Pumunta kasi ako sa bahay nila."

"Ganun ba?" I asked. "Well, then, I'm famished."

"Tell me if it's okay ha." sabi niya habang inilalabas yung laman ng paper bag. Dalawang tupperwares, one for the rice and the other for the adobo. "May tubig ka naman dito diba?"

"Magpapakuha ako kay Aissa. Bakit? Nauuhaw ka?" tanong ko.

"No, just in case you choke the food since it will be super delightful, delectable and heavenly. Baka maparami ang kain mo." she joked.

"Yeah, I think I need water. Baka kasi hindi masarap." sabi ko.

"Hey!" she protested. "I cooked it with love and I was smiling the whole time I cooked it so I'm sure there isn't a hint of bitterness on it!"

"Whatever you say, frustrated chef." I joked.

"Sabi ni Aling Ting, kapag daw nagluluto ka, dapat masaya ka. Tsaka happy thoughts lang daw dapat kasi maapektuhan daw yung niluluto mo." she explained.

"Wala namang scientific basis yan, Kath." sabi ko. "Kung talagang magaling kang magluto, kahit umiiyak ka habang gumagawa ng dessert."

"There's no harm in doing so." she shrugged. "Alam mo, ang dami mo pang sinasabi. Can you just eat?"

I nodded and took the spoon and fork that was above the tupperwares. Binuksan ko yun at inamoy yung adobo. Impressive. I took a glance at Kath and she was just staring at me, as if she was waiting for me to say something.

"Smells appetizing," I mumbled. "but odors can deceive. I must taste it."

She giggled and nodded, as if telling me to proceed with eating.

Sinimulan ko nang kumain and surprisingly, it tasted good. I nodded and pretended as if I was criticizing her dish. She just stared at me, waiting for my comment.