34. baking

Rj and Meng made sure to include Dea in most of the adults' activities. They would go to the mall, restaurants, out of town and out of the country trips. This exposed Dea to many different things and also gave Rj and Meng the opportunity to care for her without the help of Melay.

Months after Dea's birth, 'Lasap' opened. Meng was the Operations Manager so she frequented the restaurant, bringing Dea along with her. The office in the back was Dea's second home, playground, and school.

At a very young age, Dea showed interest in food preparation. Although she was not allowed near the stove or near where the ingredients were prepared, she patiently sat on her 'hachup' (high chair), watching the goings on in the kitchen. She would clap and squeal in delight as the staff interacted with her while they worked.

"naf...cut..." (cut with a knife) "Wowa...uful!" (Lola, be careful)

"Namiii" (yummy!) Dea would say when the kitchen would be filled with the aroma of cooked food.

"Eeewww...sa!" (malansa) Dea would say when fish or seafood was being prepared.

For her second birthday, she 'helped' in the kitchen to make her own cake. Meng handed her the ingredients which she poured into the bowl.

"Teya mik! Teya mik!" (Dea mix!) Dea said as she got hold of the spatula.

"What kind of cake are you making?" Meng asked.

"...kokek" (chocolate cake)

"Ahtay eat kokek?" Dea asked after dinner.

"Hmm...Mama said you made this!"

"Teya...bek kokek..."

"Oh, did you bake this?"

"Teya bek....bek kokek....beday..."

"Oh, is this your birthday cake?"

"Teya beday...Teya tuuu" Dea holds up five fingers. Rj comes close and tries to 'fix' it. "Teya beday...habeday tu yuuu...habeday tu yuuu..."

"...Happy birthday dear Dea..." Rj sings along.

Dea stares at him then sighs and begins again, "...habeday tu yuu...habeday tu yuuu....habededayyy tuuu yuuuuu..." she finishes. "Bo dadel?"

"Blow out the candle? But there's no candle..."

"Hmm...eat Teya kokek..." Dea nods and puts her face close to the cake in front of her. She gets some icing on the tip or her nose and on her upper lip which she tries to lick off with her tongue. She brushes the back of her hand across her face.

"Okay, how do you ask nicely?"

"...pis...Teya kokek pis...nami! NAAAAMIIIII!!!!" Dea clasps her hands together.

Being a very sociable tyke, she would often go around the restaurant, chatting up the customers.

"Lo po!" Dea would greet them.

"Hello! What's your name?"

"Nem...Teya..."

Melay would usually be with her to act as 'interpreter'. "Dea"

"Hello Dea. How old are you?"

"Tu!" Dea would hold up two fingers.

"Ang galing naman..."

"...derder no?" (Ano po daw ang order nyo?) "Rap kiken...yays..." (masarap ang chicken and rice)

"Ah...gulay ang kakainin namin..."

"Hmm...stebol...rap! Teya...masis..." (masarap ang vegetables. Dea eats kamatis).

"Ano yun?"

"Masis!" (Mahilig sya sa fresh na gulay lalo na kamatis at pipino)

"Ahtay!" Dea greets Rj as soon as she sees him. She is seated on the floor of her bedroom, playing.

"Hi Baby!" Rj kisses her. "What did you do today?" He picks her up and carries her.

"Mama...sasap..."

"Oh, you went with Mama to Lasap?"

"Hmm...mmmmnnnpppppffffklklklk....kiken...yays..." Dea nods.

"Chicken?"

"Kiken..."

"Ch...chicken..."

"Kiken!" she screams.

"There's no need to shout. Can you say, rice?... R...rice...rice..."

"Yays! ppppkkkkkssssmammamafffffpppp"

"Where's Mama?"

"Wuumm..." Dea pointed to the open door.

"Hi Babe"

"O Love, kanina ka pa?"

"Yeah..."

"O, bakit basa yang damit mo?"

"I was carrying Dea. She forgot that she was just in panties..."

"Ay! Mukhang favorite ka ng anak mo..."

"Haaay..." Rj said as he walks to the bathroom to take a shower.

"Dea, bakit ka naman nag-wiwi kay Tatay?"

"Teya weee Ahtay!" (Dea sorry Tatay)

"I should always remember to ask her if she needs to go potty before carrying her..." Rj said.

"Hmm..."

"Pero Sir, sa yo lang talaga sya ganyan..."

"Really?"

"Opo...ilang beses na syang binubuhat ng iba pero di naman nya iniihian..."

"Dea, remember to tell Tuhtay or Mama or Melay if you need to go potty..." Rj said.

"Yethhh"

"Aya...."

"Hmm?"

"Ipay..."

"Ano yun?"

"Ipay...tom...sto ipay..."

"Nagugutom ka?"

"Hmm..." Dea nods. She stands up from the floor where she is playing and pulls Melay to the kitchen.

"Anong gusto mong kainin?"

"Ipay!"

"Ano ang ipay?"

"Ipay! Ipay!" Dea repeats. In frustration, she cries.

"O, anong nangyari?" Meng approaches Dea and Melay in the kitchen.

"Di na naman po kami magkaintindihan..."

"Dea, anong gusto mo?" Meng crouches down to Dea's level.

"Iiiipaaay!"

Meng gives Dea a cookie.

"Nooooo! Ipay!"

Meng and Melay present Dea with several other food – chips, cake, popcorn.

"Ipaaaaaaaay! Ipay!" Dea continues to cry.

"Point mo nga kung saan yung ipay?"

Dea points to the kitchen counter where there are a lot of containers and food items. "Ipay!"

This was the first time Dea showed persistence for something. Meng lifted her and brought her closer to the counter and began touching things. Dea answered with "Noooo" to every item Meng touched.

"O sige, ikaw na ang kumuha ng gusto mo...ikaw kumuha nung ipay..."

Dea leaned forward and grabbed the bag of bread closest to the edge of the counter. "Ipay!"