21. roast

Richard tossed and turned in bed. He had been unable to sleep since Meng said goodnight to him a few hours ago.

He stood up to use the bathroom. He went back to bed and stared at the ceiling. He pulled a pillow over his face but his eyes were still open. His mind raced. He tossed and turned. He was restless. Richard stood up and went to the living room to watch TV. Richard channel-surfed for a while then settled on a lifestyle show about traveling.

Richard loved to travel. Before he settled in the Philippines, he travelled across Europe and America. He loved Japan and Africa, too. However, in all his travels, he avoided visiting one type of location in particular.

"We're going on tour of Greece..." Papa announced one late afternoon when Richard arrived home.

"Oh really?"

"Yes...we're taking that cruise that your Uncle Bob mentioned about. The same one he took with your Auntie Dolly..."

"Cruise?"

"Yes...a cruise....we fly to Greece then we'll take a cruise of the islands..."

"Uhmm...pass?"

"...are you sure?"

"Yeah! You guys enjoy. There are stuff I need to prepare before I join the Manila office, right?"

"Raffy is doing well there. He said everything is ready for your transfer..."

"But Pa..."

"Anak..."

"You and Mama go ahead. Enjoy!" Richard said and left the living room.

"Hindi pa sya talaga nakaka- move on ano?" Mama said. She and Papa were getting ready for bed.

"...Leng, sayang ang chance..."

"Alam ko. Wag na nating pilitin kung ayaw nya talaga..." Mama said.

"...akala ko dahil matanda na sya, na-overcome nya na yung takot nya sa dagat..."

"Akala ko rin...sumasama naman pag nagb-beach tayo pero di nga lang sya lumalangoy...ayaw ngang lumapit sa tubig...buti nalang natuto syang mag-swimming..."

"....ni ayaw manood ng sine na may dagat o underwater na eksena..." Papa said.

"Oo...sabi nya, kahit 'Finding Nemo' lang, para daw syang nalulunod. Di daw sya makahinga..."

"Hmm...."

Three year old Rj happily played on the beach, scooping sand and water, and chasing after and jumping over the small waves that broke on the shore. He squealed and giggled in delight while his family watched him.

Rj squatted on the sand with his back toward the sea, waves hitting his feet every now and then. The tide was coming in and the waves were getting bigger and stronger. Suddenly, a rather big wave washed over the little boy. It startled him and knocked him forward, making Rj fall flat-faced into the sand.

The impact of hitting the sand caused Rj to drink some saltwater, scratches on his face and body, and a bump on his forehead. His Yaya Lourdes came to the rescue and picked him up. Rj was red-faced, shocked, and crying. From that time, he didn't like going to the beach or swimming in the ocean.

Richard had no clear memory of this accident at the beach. Growing up, he was excited at the idea of going to the beach for as long as he didn't have to swim in the ocean or even go near the shore. He was contented with watching people from the cottage and front yard of the cottage, a few hundred meters away from the shore.