Chapter 37.

My eyes fluttered open slowly as a familiar ache began to pulse through my side. I must have breathed too deeply and instantly felt myself pulled completely awake by the shooting pain now coursing through my body. I moved to pull my hand to my side, leaning over slightly, but stopped instantly as my entire neck throbbed at the movement. My head was splitting and my stomach felt as if it'd been run over by a truck as I moved back to my original position in slow agony.

"I'm glad you're awake. I was beginning to worry." I heard a familiar low voice say to my side.

I took in a slow breath and let my head gently move to look beside me. Rhett was leaning against the bed, holding my hand in his as he stood, leaning over me to plant a tender kiss against my forehead. He pulled back, brushing a loose hair from my face as his light blue eyes searched mine.

"How are you feeling?" He asked seriously.

I winced and took a mental inventory of my injuries. My side and stomach were still burning painfully, but my cheek and jaw only felt a little tender compared to before. My neck was still incredibly sore, but the pain had relieved slightly.

"I think I'm ok." I said in a hoarse whisper.

My hand dropped to a tightly wrapped bandage around my waist and ribcage. Accelerated healing could only go so far. Broken bones took a little longer to heal than normal bumps and bruises. 

My breath caught as a sudden flash of memory pushed into my mind and I realized we were the only two sitting inside the hospital room. "Where is Huntleigh? and Avery?" 

He let out a breath and gave me a tight smile before sitting down on the edge of the bed. "They're ok Lili. Avery is in the next room over being tended to, and Ivy has Huntleigh with her in the pack house with Asher."

I exhaled slowly and closed my eyes in relief, but was immediately met with images of Cage hovering over me, his foot colliding into me as Huntleigh cowered in the corner. My eyes popped open and my heart sped up before I felt Rhett's hand gently squeeze mine. 

"It's ok Lili. You're safe now. I won't let anything happen to you here." He said quietly as his hand brushed against my cheek. 

"What happened to Cage?" I asked suddenly. 

A low growl rumbled in his chest before he answered, his steel eyes swirling darker. "That bastard is locked up waiting for judgement from Alpha Dominic. But anything short of death is too good for that coward."

I opened my mouth to speak, but a quiet knock sounded against the door. 

"Come in." Rhett said evenly, trying to shake off the anger as the door slowly opened. 

Ivy stood holding the small hand of Huntleigh just inside the doorway. Huntleigh's face instantly changed to a large grin and she squealed as she ran toward the bed. Ivy rushed behind her to help her up, speaking hurriedly. "Now remember Huntleigh, your mommy's hurt. You have to be gentle ok?"

Rhett had stood to allow me to slide over and make room for her as he stalked over to the corner. Tension was still rolling off of him as he tried to pull out of the fury he'd been holding inside at the mention of Cage. I let myself turn my attention back to Huntleigh as she carefully wiggled her way up to my side. Her hands began to gently stroke my arm before cupping my cheek. I smiled at her and leaned into her tiny grasp and she smiled, blinking over at me. 

"How do you feel mommy?" she asked in a whisper. 

I ignored the ache in my neck and leaned my head closer to her, taking her hand in mine as it held my face. "I'm ok. Are you all right?" I asked, trying to hide the shake in my voice.