Chapter 22.

I stood, staring at the floor in front of me as I heard him growling lowly in anger before slamming his hand into the wall. The loud sound caused me to jump and as I blinked, he'd stepped in front of me, shutting the door behind me and pulling me into his arms. "Lili, it's not..."

Something snapped inside of me and I let the fury wash over me, pushing hard against his chest as his grip tightened around me. "Let me go now." My voice was low and menacing. He hesitated but slowly released me and my nostrils flared. I could smell her on him.

"Lili, she came after me. You have to listen to me. I didn't..."

"Stop. Rhett just stop. I don't want to hear it." I stepped back, dragging a hand down my arm at an attempt to soothe myself. He stopped, his fists clenching at his sides as he stared at me intensely. "It's my fault she came in here, but I can't believe you actually gave into her." I said after a moment.

He scoffed and stepped forward, but I matched his step until I was back against the wall. "I didn't. She fucking jumped me the second she walked in. I would never take her now. Lili..."

I put my hands into the air in front of me and he froze as I glared at him. "Look, I get it ok. I can't say anything either. I've let Weston get close and I saw how it drove you crazy. This is just something we're going to have to get around eventually. Right now, it is what it is. Don't worry about it." 

A flash of pain entered his eyes and his hand rose to touch me but I brushed it away, ignoring the feel of his skin against mine. "Don't Rhett. Just...don't."

I snatched the door open and walked out, slamming it shut behind me before running down the hall and out of the house. I needed a run more than anything right now. I had to get out of here.

Rhett's POV

I stalked out of the training facility, ignoring the knowing look from Ivy. I wasn't thrilled that she knew my personal business, but I was glad Lili had someone she could be close with. Someone she could tell some of her secrets too. I only wished that one day it could be me. 

I had to get to the bottom of this mess with Cage. I mind-linked Asher and Weston to meet me at my office. We needed to make more progress. I couldn't keep dealing with this, putting her through this.

"What's up boss?" Asher said as he walked into the room, Weston following closely behind as he shut the door.

"We have to find out now. I have to know if he's lying or I'll go insane. What do we know?" I snarled, raking a hand through my hair as Asher pulled the map out and laid it down on the desk.

"We know he's been holed up in the house here, and he has scouts in these three locations surrounding it, as well as one here watching our movements. But there's been no indication that he has anyone inside." Asher stated plainly.

So far, it's only been his movement we're sensing Alpha." Weston said lowly.

"He has to have them hidden somewhere. He doesn't strike me as the type of wolf to make empty threats. She said this is what he does, and from what I've known of him, I'm inclined to agree." I said, studying the map before my brows rose. "What if he has them beneath it. He could be hiding them under the house."

Asher sighed and looked at me. "But how can we confirm that without getting inside. Maybe we can draw him out, but his watch will never let us inside without a fight."

Weston stepped closer. "We will put another detail on them to watch the house. He has to speak to them sometime. He can't just be letting them starve to death down there if he has them inside. I'll send our best four there now and they'll let us know if they see anything. If not, we take the house."

Asher nodded and eyed me as I pushed away from the desk, pacing. "It's the only other choice Alpha. He did threaten her and you. You're within your rights, but there will be blowback if we're wrong."

I growled and clenched my fists, closing my eyes as I tried to reign in my anger. "It's a risk I'm willing to take. I'm sick of this shit. It's time to end this. One way or another."

They each nodded and stormed out of the office with purpose. I took a calming breath and followed behind, heading to my room to grab a quick shower before heading down to eat and head to the training center to oversee the upcoming warriors training. I needed to see where we stood in case we had to fight tonight. I linked Asher to summon all that we had and headed to my room, jumping in the shower and trying to lose myself in the warm water as it ran over my head. 

I got out and threw on a pair of athletic shorts and a tee before toweling off my hair and dropping my towel in the hamper. I heard a quiet knock on the door and braced myself, unsure of who would be coming to my room unannounced. 

I slowly opened the door and saw Soleil smile at me before stepping in and shutting the door quickly behind her as she pulled her skimpy top up over her body and throwing her body into mine. Her thin arms wrapped around my neck as she brushed her face against mine, pressing her lips to mine as her body pressed flush against me. I pulled back, my hands gripping into her arms as I growled. "What the hell Soleil. Get off of me now."

Her hand stroked my neck before falling to my chest and I snarled. "Come on baby. I know you've been wanting this for a while. It's been so long..." She said breathily but I yanked her arms off of me, shoving her away from me as she stumbled back to bump against the door. 

Her ears perked and I saw her face turn for just a second to listen as she let out a loud giggle and I cursed to myself. She must hear Lili in the hall. In a flash, she'd whipped around to open the door with her shirt still exposing her as a shocked Lili fell forward, her hand lingering on the knob as she glared up at Soleil.

Fuck!

The look of hatred and fury was consuming her as she glared up at her. Once Soleil pranced out triumphantly, Lili trained her fury on me and it sent a shock of pain through my chest, my heart aching under her gaze. I tried to explain myself, but she didn't want to hear it. She was hurt. I could see it. Pain was simmering under the anger, but she was holding onto it like a lifeline, not letting it fade this time. 

I reached for her but her hands flew up reactively. "Don't Rhett. Just...don't." 

Her words stabbed me, pushing me away hard as she backed toward the door, reaching for the knob and yanking it open. She let one pain filled gaze hit me before she slammed the door shut and left me standing there breathless, shocked, and alone.

I let out a loud growl and threw the hamper next to me across the room. 

What the fuck am I supposed to do with this? I have to get this handled with Cage. Now.

Her scent hung in the air, the smell of honeysuckle and vanilla taking over what was left of Soleil's. I snarled as I got into the shower yet again, scrubbing the lingering scent of that awful female off of me. How could I have ever been with someone so snide, so spiteful? She was nothing compared to Lili. My Lili. She would be mine if I had to kill Cage myself. 

And it was happening tonight if I had anything to say about it.