Chapter 6.

*Photo: Avery (left), Cage (right)

"Wh-what? You couldn't have." I stared up at him in shock as my mind tried to catch up with his words. "How could you possibly have known that?" I asked in shock.

He pushed my hair away from my face and gave me a sad smile. "I couldn't have known you hadn't wanted it, but I told you, I could sense other males on you the moment the bond connected us. Any male can sense that a female is marked, me especially as an Alpha. I knew before we even connected that you were marked, but the moment we bonded I could feel it."

More tears streamed down my cheeks as I buried my face into his strong chest. His arms wrapped around me as I felt the shame I'd been holding on to finally burst out of me. I knew he deserved to know all of it. All of the dark dirty horror I'd been through, but part of me knew that there was only so much the mate bond could forgive. Once he knew all of my secrets, how could I possibly expect him to accept what was left of me?

His hands stroked up and down my back as his lips kissed the top of my head. "Lili, I swear to you, I will not let anyone hurt you again, but I need you to talk to me. I need you to let me in." His voice was tight but smooth, wrapping around me like silk.

I could feel the steady hum of the bond working through us. Every part of me told me to let him in, to tell him everything. But I just couldn't. The fear was greater than the desire.

I shook my head against him as I choked through a sob. "I can't Rhett. You'll never want me if I do. I can't tell you."

He pulled back slightly to be able to look down at me, his eyes pained as he saw my frightened expression. "How could you think I wouldn't want you? Whatever it is, we can work through it. But I can't do that if you won't tell me what it is Lili."

I shook my head again and pushed him gently away, walking toward the bathroom. I paused for a moment, turning to look at him once more. I could see how conflicted he was. He wanted to follow after me, but knowing my reaction would be to pull away, he stayed locked in place.

"I'm sorry Rhett. I can't. I'll try my best to tell you the things I can, but I'll never be able to give all of my secrets over to you. There are just too many, and I can't bear to see the pity in your eyes once you know." I turned to walk into the bathroom when his quiet voice stopped me.

"Lili. Please just..."

"I just need time Rhett. Please just give me time ok?"

Without looking back I walked in and shut the door, turning on the water before crumpling on to the floor. How was I ever going to do this? How could I get vet tell anyone, much less him, what I'd been through? What I'd allowed, Hell, chosen for my life? The answer was simple. I couldn't.

I heard his heavy footsteps pause and then turn toward the door, clicking it shut behind him. I knew he could accept many things from me. The bond would force him to. But there were some things even that couldn't change. One thing was certain though. I would have to let him in some if this would ever have a chance.

I allowed myself a moment longer before I peeled myself off of the floor, steadying myself as my hands gripped into the cold marble counter. I looked into the mirror and winced at the sight of my puffy red eyes and splotched face.

Well this looks less than ideal.

I splashed water on to my face and made my way back in to the room, crawling on to the bed and letting the exhaustion finally overtake me. I quickly felt myself drifting off before I could even put my head onto my pillow.

"Girl, has anyone ever told you how gorgeous you could be? Thalia, let me make you over and I know the men will be falling at your feet!" Avery chirped as she happily pulled up to the old bar we both worked in. I had been fortunate to meet her in the diner. She offered to help me out with a fake so I could come work at the bar with her and I gladly accepted the chance to actually make more money than scraping by.