10

Pretty much every engaged couple says wedding planning is hard... but wedding planning is hard. So much harder than David and I originally thought, especially with his always busy schedule and Luke and my new job working at a magazine. It seemed like every time we found a venue we liked, we'd have to push the date back for one reason or another, and every time we found an ideal florist, I'd read the one star Yelp reviews until they were not so ideal anymore. Our friends were a mix of restrictive diets that made it hard to have any kind of catered menu (I suggested a BYOF wedding many times, but David always rolled his eyes). It seemed like it was never going to happen, and David's pessimistic attitude wasn't helping.

"Why are we even having a big wedding if you don't want to make up your mind?" he would ask after I turned down a venue or a caterer or a dress shopping appointment. I'd have to scoff at that.

"You think I'm the one that wanted a big wedding? I only want to invite Aaliyah, her dad, and Luke. You're the one with all the friends, David, so don't blame the huge ass wedding on me," I snapped as I flipped through another bridal magazine, looking for inspiration. I knew David had a ton of people to invite and wanted it picture perfect, but I would be fine getting married on the street. That's why it was so hard to figure everything out: I was trying to please him while also not really caring about the outcoming. I just wanted to sign the papers; he wanted the big wedding, perfect for the vlog and the photos. He couldn't be average; he was David fucking Dobrik.

"Sorry that I have more friends than you," he replied sarcastically and I rolled my eyes, tossing the magazine onto the floor with a huff. I quickly began to gather my things and some of Luke's things; he was around five months now and needed some kind of toy to throw around so he wouldn't cry in the car. "Where are you going?"

"Anywhere but here," I mumbled, picking up Luke out of his pack and play and resting him on my hip. "You can call me when you're in a better mood."

"I'm the one in the bad mood?" he scoffed. I nodded. "You're crazy, Sloane."

"Yes, I am," I smiled sarcastically, throwing the diaper bag over my shoulder and picking up the empty car seat with my empty hand. "Thanks for the reminder!"

"Are you seriously leaving?" he sighed and I rolled my eyes, gesturing to the kid in my arms while also trying to open the front door. "Why are you leaving?"

"You're annoying me," I said like it was obvious, finally succeeding in pulling the glass door open. "I'll see you tonight."

"I love you!" he called from the doorway while I struggled to fit the carrier into the carseat.

"Love you too, dumbass," I laughed, placing Luke in the carrier and making sure he was safely buckled in. I gave him something to chew on and a rattle, then climbed in the car.

"Drive safe!" he yelled. I didn't answer, instead shutting the door behind me.

A fight like that happened nearly every single day, but never once did I want to or even consider ending the engagement. David and I fought, but it was only out of love (and annoyance). I knew enough about abusers and abusive relationships to know that I wasn't in one. David loved me, and he wanted our wedding to be special and life changing and memorable, and that's why we always fought.

Our wedding ended up taking around 10 months to plan; Luke was almost a year old, a stumbling, babbling mess when we finally picked a date (October 10th) and a venue (an old house turned wedding venue in Westlake) and a dress (a beautiful blush pink and lacy dress that I felt like an actual princess in). It was only May at that point, but I was so, so excited to get married all the time.

David and I pretty much stopped fighting, except for our usual sarcastic bickering, after we thought we had everything figured out. We were both eager and nervous and in love, and it didn't really matter anymore.

One day, we were sitting on the couch together at the apartment while Luke played with Bailey (the apartment had been weed free except for the balcony since we had Luke), and David said, "We need to talk about something." For a second, I thought he was going to break up with me, even with Alex just in the kitchen making chicken. My hands started sweating and my fingers started nervously drumming against my thighs.

"Okay," I replied, my throat slightly dry. "About what?"

"It's not bad, babe," he chuckled at my nervousness, placing a hand on my thigh and squeezing it for comfort. "At least, I hope it won't be bad."

"Yeah, that doesn't really help," I laughed, eyes flickering to Luke who was pulling gently on Bailey's ear. Bailey didn't seem to mind, so I let him go. "Say it before I pee myself."

"You remember when your coach got put in jail?" he asked, and I nodded in confusion. "Well, before I ever talked to your mom, I called and reported him. That's how they... found out about everything. Because I called. And before you say anything, I know you don't like me meddling in your life, but I felt like—"

"David," I interrupted him, and he stared into my eyes, almost as if he was scared of my reaction. "I love you."

"Oh my god, really?" he grinned, feeling the weight lift off his shoulders. "Good, because I was getting nervous for a second you were going to call off the wedding. I love you."

"I love you too," I smiled, placing a kiss on his cheek. "Thank you for looking out for me; you're seriously the best ever."

"I love you," Luke babbled, but it sounded more like ah wuh woo. Still, it was the most precious sound I had ever heard in my entire life, and probably would be for a long, long time. 

this is p short, but i had a hard time writing this chapter (obviously) ((thats why its up so late lol))

i hope u all enjoy!! thank u for reading!!! please vote and comment and follow me if u liked it and let me know what u think!!!!! thank u ily all xoxo abby