11

"Sloane," David whispered, poking me in the side. I groaned, turning away from his voice and pulling the comforter back up to my chin. "Sloane, wake up."

"Go away," I moaned, covering my face with my hands to stop the light streaming in from the window.

"Mama!" Luke whined, and I realized he was in David's arms. "Breakfast!"

I opened my eyes to see David standing over the bed, Luke in one arm and a plate in the other. David began singing happy birthday while Luke tried (and failed) to follow along. Regardless, it was adorable. "Oh my gosh."

"Happy birthday, Mama!" Luke grinned, and David passed him to me. I wrapped him in my arms, rocking him back and forth.

"Thank you, handsome," I smiled, placing a kiss on his red cheek. "I love you, Lukey."

"I love you, Mama," he replied, clumsily climbing off my lap so he could sit next to me in the bed. He repeated, "Breakfast!"

"I see that," I smiled as David passed me a plate of Mickey Mouse shaped Eggo waffles covered messily in chocolate syrup. "Did you make these for me?"

Luke nodded proudly, looking down at his work. "Mickey!"

"They are beautiful, Luke. Thank you," I placed a kiss on the top of his head, then grabbed David's arm to pull him down to me. "Thank you, too. I love you."

"Happy birthday, babe," he smiled and kissed me. "Eat your breakfast. Luke and I... have to go somewhere."

"Oh, yeah?" I teased, smirking when David put his finger over his mouth to look, signaling for him to keep quiet. "Where do you guys have to go?"

"Top secret!" Luke smiled, zipping his mouth up and throwing the key away. "We be back."

"Okay," I giggled, placing a final kiss on Luke's cheek and then handing him back to David. "Be careful. Stay with Daddy, okay?"

"'Kay!" he cheered as David carried him out upside down (safety is key), closing the bedroom door behind us. I sighed, sitting back in the bed and putting the first bite of waffle into my mouth.

Birthdays. I had always loved my birthday, to be honest. I wasn't crazy about attention, but one day a year that was all about me? Who could say no?

After my breakfast, I got up and showered, putting on a flowy floral dress and some simple brown leather sandals. I left my now black hair to dry however it pleased, and put on some basic but presentable makeup. David invited his friends over tonight (as if that wasn't a nightly occurrence anyways) for some cake and fellowship, and I knew Matt would be over with his camera. I needed to look at least decent.

After I got ready, I washed the dishes that were sitting in the sink and facetimed with Aaliyah to make sure she was set for that night and still coming.

"Hey," she smiled. "I'm about to get off work. Can you call me back in ten minutes?"

Aaliyah's work schedule always threw me off. As a nurse, she worked four or five days a week on twelve hour shifts, sometimes overnight and sometimes during the day. Calling her at eight o'clock and finding out she's just now getting off work made me crazy; I'm glad some people can handle it, because I couldn't.