8

"David—"

"Wait!" he exclaimed, holding up his empty hand to stop me from continuing. "I have more. Fuck, I was supposed to do the speech before the question, but it's okay. I'll just do it now."

"David—"

"No!" he interrupted again, holding a finger to his lip for emphasis. "Sloane Carlisle, I thought that I was never going to love anyone for the rest of my life. I couldn't imagine getting married, and I couldn't even imagine having a baby until you came along. Now all I can think about is decorating for Christmas and letting you pluck my eyebrows and taking Luke to the park and trick or treating and all the fun things forever. I want a forever with you. I want to grow old with you and have grandkids and bake cookies and be happy forever. I love you so much, almost more than I love Luke, and I want you to be my wife. So, Sloane Carlisle, will you marry me?"

I sighed, using my shaky hands to tuck my black curls behind my ears. "If you would've let me finish earlier," I sarcastically replied, smiling when he playfully rolled his eyes. "You would've heard me say yes and you wouldn't have had to say that whole speech."

"Yes?" David confirmed, hope lighting up in his sparkling brown eyes as if he expected me to say no.

"Yes, obviously!" I grinned, and he jumped up from his spot on the floor, wrapping me in a killer tight hug. "I love you, oh my god. We're getting married!"

"I love you, too," David pulled back, a soft grin on his face. "Holy shit, I totally love you. Which finger does this go on again?"

"Oh, I'm not putting that on," I half laughed, staring down at the glitzy ring in distaste. Not that it wasn't beautiful, but it was too expensive. Usually, when David bought me expensive things, we talked about it beforehand and I didn't feel as bad. Though this one actually had a purpose, looking down at the rock, I knew it was worth too much to be on my hand at all times. "That looks like it's at least ten thousand dollars."

"Uh, yeah," David nodded awkwardly, and my jaw dropped in shock.

"Twenty?" I frowned, looking down at the glistening ring in the light. David didn't answer, but finally cracked a smile when I said, "Thirty?"

"Thirty five," he said, snatching my left hand and sliding the ring on my middle finger. Close enough. "But I'm not exchanging it. I picked it because I knew it was the one."

"David, that's too fucking expensive," I sighed, switching the ring to the right finger and then holding up to the light. It was perfect, but I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction he desired. "Seriously, I would be happy with a ring from the drugstore. That's too much."

"I can tell you like it, Sloane," he giggled, rolling his eyes when I tried to deny it again. "Besides..."

I was confused when he didn't finish his sentence immediately and noticed the camera sitting on a chest off to the side. He looked directly into it and said, "This engagement is sponsored by Seat Geek."

"You asshole!" I whined, looking down at the ring with a sigh. "Is it really?"

"Yeah," David chuckled in response.

"Well, thanks, Seat Geek!" I wiggled my fingers at the camera, then approached it to turn it off. David got the exciting proposal footage that he needed, and I decided that was all. He didn't need to film any more intimate moments of the night.

"Who knew you were doing it tonight?" I questioned as David pulled out a chair at the table for me. "And whose house is this? Who was at the door when you knocked?"

"One at a time, Sloane, jeez," David complained and I playfully rolled my eyes, swatting at him with my hand with the diamond. They really weren't playing around when they said engaged women do everything with their left hand. I'm left handed, but I don't think I've ever used my hand that much.

"Oh yeah, sorry. I forgot your little brain can only handle so much," I sarcastically replied, unable to contain my smile when he scoffed as if he were offended.

"I think you're getting confused, babe," he laughed. "Is my head big or small?"

"Oh, trust me, your head's ginormous," I giggled. "But it's just hot air in there. No substance."

"You seem to have a lot of talk tonight," he commented, raising his eyebrows in mock surprise. "Anyways, to answer your questions, and yes, I remember them because my brain is huge."

"Doubtful," I mumbled with a small smile. "But continue."

"Aaliyah, Michael and Jason knew I was proposing tonight," he explained. "This house is an Airbnb that me and Jason rented for the night. When we go home, he and Trisha are going to stay here."

"Romantic," I laughed, and David nodded. "And Jason answered the door. He's also going to be our waiter for the night. Is that all?"

"Why'd you think you weren't going to get married?" I asked after a moment of thinking. It was a good question.

"Do you want the honest answer?"

I nodded.

He sighed, tilted his head a bit like he was thinking of exactly how to word it, then said, "In all honesty, I never thought I was going to find someone I loved more than Liza. Looking back on it, it was pretty stupid. Liza's great, of course, but she was just my girlfriend. If I would've tried a little sooner, I could've found someone, you know? I guess I just wanted to wait until I was sure it was over. That's why I was so... disappointed, I guess, when you told me you were pregnant. I lost whatever chance I thought I had of getting back together with her, and now I was stuck with some college girl who gets drunk all the time and dresses a little... out there."

"Hey!" I whined. "I do not drink all the time. And I think I dress cute."

"Well, I had only met you once," he laughed. "What else was I supposed to think?"

"I don't know; I thought you'd see through to my lovely personality," I shrugged.

"I didn't," he deadpanned, then added, "So there you go. That's my answer."

"Are you glad?" I asked softly, nervously twisting the rock on my finger. "I mean, glad you met me?"

"Are you kidding?" he chuckled. "I'm the luckiest guy in the whole world."

pretty sure this ring is the harry winston "the one" ring if not sorry but it looks like it lmao!!! but the harry winston ring is what im imagining!! do u know how hard it is to find an expensive ring ON SOMEONES HAND???? its hard

tana as a slutty david is just iconic dont @ me ik shes problematic

please vote and comment and follow me if u liked! slavid is cute (just came up with that ship name and yes it does suck) xoxo abby