Chapter 17 ☩ I Like You ☩

"I like you, Yankumi."

One sentence.

Four words.

Those 'powerful' words – I like you – which came from Sawada Shin's lips. They were too much for a simple sentence. They were too unbelievable to be heard, especially coming from him.

Although, it wasn't Yankumi's first time hearing something like this. She heard those words before. The first time was when she was in high school and it was from their henchman, Tetsu.

"Ojou, I... I-I l-like... y-you..." Tetsu was very nervous and stupidly stuttering. He was furiously blushing and shaking.

Yankumi looked at him and smiled.

"Thank you, Tetsu-kun," she said and patted his head. "I like you too... but as a brother."

That night, Tetsu cried his eyes out and got drunk. Their yakuza family celebrated his broken heart. But eventually, Tetsu accepted his ojou's response.

The second time she heard those words, it was from her first love, Shinohara Tomoya. At first, she had a huge crush on him that eventually developed into love. She was so happy when he confesses to her.

"Kumiko, I like you." Shinohara said that night when they went out for a walk.

Yankumi was overwhelmed with mixed emotions that she could not utter a word. She would open her mouth like she would say something but closes without saying anything. She's smiling widely like a dork.

"Shi-Shinohara s-sensei..." she stammered a little. But before she could continue what she was trying to say, she was cut by the lawyer.

"Kumiko, come with me and let's live together in my hometown," Shinohara was staring into her eyes. The seriousness and sincerity of his eyes was obvious.

Yankumi was taken aback with his sudden proposal. She stared back with confusion. Yes, she was happy when she heard him confessed to her but she felt confused with his proposal. And something hurts inside her just by thinking she's leaving this town, especially those people she cared so much.

Shinohara smiled. "You don't have to answer me right now. I know this was sudden and a bit hard to you. That's why I will give you some time to think about it. Then you can give me a proper answer."

"I-I'm sorry..." Yankumi was a bit shy. "And thank you for considering my feelings..."

Shinohara place his hands on her shoulders. "I am willing to wait, Kumiko..."

He hugged her tightly and Yankumi hug back. It was a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that your love for someone was reciprocated. But it's too difficult if you have to choose between your love and family.

That night, Yankumi silently cried.

Months passed and Yankumi finally made up her mind. She met with Shinohara again to give her answer. And this was the hardest decision she had ever made.

Yankumi refuses Shinohara's proposal.

She couldn't leave behind her family and the yakuza family. She cried so much. She chooses to have her heart broken than to have her longed happiness for herself. Shinohara understand and accepted her decision.

And that day, she bid farewell to her first love.

That memory was still a bittersweet one. But she already moved on from that. It doesn't hurt like hell anymore.