Chapter Forty Six: Fading Out

Everyone sat there quietly as Ellie's life was shown on the screen, progressing from when she was a baby up until the very last picture of her and I standing together at the red carpet.

The music vanished into the air as the slide show finished, the image of Ellie and I fading out ever so slowly. Fading, gone, just like she is. Completely out of my life and never coming back. I leant back in my seat and took a deep breath, the speeches were coming up and mine would be last. No doubt I'll break down whilst talking. I looked across the room to where Mads was sitting with her boyfriend, she was going first. Slowly she stood up and walked over to the microphone.

"Ellie was my best friend, for a while we were insuperable until she found her own way and lived her life. She was always witty and sarcastic, continuously playing with my mind as we shared an apartment. She most definitely wasn't your normal girl, she was Ellie..." Mads paused and looked down for a brief moment. When she looked up again she had tears staining her cheeks and her eyes were beginning to redden.

"She was Ellie Stevens, my best friend. The girl who could put a smile on anyone's face without any trouble at all." Mads smiled as the tears quickened.

"We will miss you, I already miss you Ellie. I hope you're happy, and I love you and I'm sorry for not being by your side for long enough." Mads wiped at her eyes before walking down from the microphone and crying into her boyfriends arms. I felt Louis shift beside me, next to him was Eleanor. I don't understand why she had to be here, Ellie never met her not to mention that none of us had seen her for about 6 months. The next speaker walked up, I didn't know who it was but it was soon clarified.

"I'm here in behalf of Sean, he wrote a lovely speech. It's absolutely... It's beautiful. He couldn't come up and speak in front of you all so he kindly asked me to read it for you." The guy looked down and shifted whatever he was holding around.

"My sister is gone, whilst she was still here she had the brightest smile and a laugh that would set you off. She was my twin, the best twin I could ask for and now I'm missing half of me. I'm missing my better half, the sister who felt like a best friend. Sure we always faught and bickered but what twins don't? She was with one of my best mates, when I found out about them I wasn't worried because I knew what he was like, he was the best for Ellie. No one in the whole world could've been better."

"I'm going to miss my sister, she had the brightest smile and she always cared about other people, she put them first before herself. She really was something." He left the podium as everyone was once again quiet. You could hear several people sniffing as they mourned the loss of Ellie. My palms began to get sweaty, one more person and then it would be me up there. One more speech and then there I would be, crying as I read every word on my page.

"My baby girl left me the other night, without any warning. She sent me a text that night expressing how much she loved me. This was a little random but I replied back anyway as any mother would. I didn't her expect her to be gone; I didn't want her to go. She was my little girl, my perfect gorgeous girl, the sister of two and as Sean wrote the girlfriend to a very lucky boy. She was independent, she always wanted to do things on her own ever since she could walk. She put others before herself and would constantly worry if something was out of place. That was just Elle, always over thinking and being a worry. She would try and call me every day to update myself on how she was going. We could talk for hours on end. She was my daughter but also my best friend too." Ellie's mum was now in tears as she smiled at me, her smile was genuine and not forced.

"Aimee wrote something that she would like me to read. Ellie was funny, gorgeous, smart but above all a loving sister. She loved looking after my kids and would always be up for an outing. When we were younger we told each other secrets and shared stories about boys. She was my sister so we faught, but every sibling does that. I will never forget her beautiful smile, love you sis!" She gave me another smile before returning to her seat, leaving me with the last words.