Chapter Sixeteen: I'll Be Happy

As my new laptop boots up my phone starts vibrating whilst it’s in my pocket. No one else is around, Chelsea and Matt went to the studio and Drake went who knows where, so I pull my phone out of my pocket and see that the caller is Niall.

“Hello.” I say as I select accept.

“Hi Ellie, I’ve finished the interview and we are in the car going to our meeting now. How are things going for you right now?” Niall says very quietly into the phone.

“Things are good, I’ve been assigned my first job and you would not believe-“

“Sorry I have to go, I’ll talk soon.” With that the line went dead and I was left staring at my phone. Slowly I place my phone on the table and direct my attention to my laptop. By now it’s already 11 and I decide to do my research.

Halfway through my 20th or something video Deliah comes into the room.

“Ellie! What are you doing in here? You do have an office. Come on girl I’ll show you.” Deliah says with a soft smile at the end. I laugh and gather my things and then follow her through a few doors and I finally make it to a small but comfy room with a desk, a few chairs and a filing cabinet.

“Thank you Deliah, I didn’t expect to have my own office or anything.” I say with a smile as I sit at behind the desk.

“All employees have an office, usually we share with someone but there aren’t enough employees for you to be sharing quite yet. Now I was meant to ask you if you would be interested in some lunch with the rest of us in about 20 minutes?” Deliah asked whilst leaning against the door frame.

“I would love to but I’ve got some things to do, is that okay?” I ask looking down at my hands.

“Sure thing, did you want me to bring you some lunch anyways?”

“That would be lovely, thank you.” I say quietly as I pick up my phone and for the 50th time check for any new messages, once again I have none.

“I can’t help but notice that something is bothering you Ellie. I’m always here to talk and if you only ask I’ll be there.” Deliah says with a soft smile and then she leaves me to be.

I scan through my contacts and once I arrive on Niall I go into his contact. I select to call him and I press my phone against my ear. 1 ring, 2 rings, 3 rings. Eventually I’m sent to voice message I take a deep breath and leave him a message. “Giving you a heads up, I’ve been assigned to work with you for the next few months.” I place my phone down and sit back in my chair and continue staring at my laptop screen.

About 20 minutes later I’ve had my lunch and I’m still waiting for a reply from Niall, it’s killing me. He just isn’t replying and it’s driving me insane. Maybe he is afraid that I’m calling him to end things, maybe he feels bad for what he said in the interview. What if something is actually wrong? I get up from my chair and start pacing my office, going back and forth. Maybe I should just go for a walk, clear my head. Yep that’s what I’m going to do, I’ll leave my phone here so I won’t continue stressing and I’ll cool off. Suddenly as I’m about to step out of the room my phone starts ringing. I race to it and answer without even looking at the caller ID.

“Hello!” I practically yell into my phone.

“Ellie, listen I’m truly sorry that I had to hang up on you earlier, I’m even more sorry that I haven’t returned any of your calls or messages, but I’m making up for it now. I was in a meeting, we all had to leave our phones outside of the room we didn’t want any interruptions, if I knew you were going to call I would’ve done something different. Anyways, now I can talk so please do go ahead and tell me about your day so far.” Niall said all rather quickly, I was relieved in a way once he finished talking.