Chapter 22 Jake

Megan is leaving out of state.. Maybe when she graduates next year she can come back. She could bring Axle too. 1 more year that's it.

I offered to give her a ride home but she insisted on walking. Now I am just sitting my room thinking about her. Her checks were soft and her lips even softer. She is the most beautiful girl I have ever seen and guys talk about her all the time and how hot she is, but she acts like she is the most ordinary looking girl there is. She doesn't even know how she walks by and everyone stares at her pefection.

I have to see her. Now. I get up and take the keys off the counter.

"Where are you going?" My dad asks.

"Megan's." I say as I close the door behind me.

As I drive I wonder does she even want to see me. She got a cell phone and didn't tell me. She has been quiet today and hasn't told me what's going on. She didn't even tell me she is moving out of state she hasn't cleared anything up. She said she will tell me later but it's been 10 hours and she hasn't said anything. When is later. Maybe I should just turn around.

Then her house comes into view. I walk up the driveway and then on the sidewalk up to the front door. Before I even knock the woman I assume is Savannah opens the door.

"Hello." She greets me in a high pitched voice.

"Hi. Is Megan here?"

Her face lights up and she looks at me with recognition. "Jake right?"

"Umm yes ma'am." How did she know me name?

She laughs, but it sounds more like a scream. "Let me get her!"

Then she turns around and sprints towards the back rooms. "Megan!"

After a few seconds I hear another set of footsteps walking my way.

"Who is it?" Megan asks.

Savannah just laughs. When Megan sees me standing by her front door she stops in her place and confusion washes over her face. Then she smiles and looks relieved.

"Jake. Hey what are you doing here?" She sounds happy.

"I came to see you. Can we talk?"

"Umm." She looks at Savannah unsure of what to say.

Savannah nods her head and smiles.

"Yea." Megan hesitates as she says it. "Follow me."

Her checks turn the cute shade of red they always do when she talks to me. I follow her to a hallway. At the end of the hallway is 2 bedrooms. She goes in the one which has a lot if purple.

"This is my room." She spins around gesturing to the room.

"It's... purple." I say shocked.

"Axle's favorite color." She informs me.

Now I get it. "Megan. You don't have to pretend with me. I know your hurting. Your sister, the only person who has always been there no matter where you go is for the first time ever not here with you. I know your not okay. What I don't know is how hurt you are. How lost you feel. How broke and empty you are inside. Please let me in."

Tears start running down her face and I open my arms to her. Just like the day she moved here she puts her head on my shoulder and cries. I wrap my arms around her and rub her back.

"It hurts a lot." She whispers. "I feel really empty and really lost. Oliver keeps giving me new books to read. They keep me entertained and busy, it makes it easier to pretend to be happy around him and Savannah."

By the time she finishes she couldn't talk through her tears even if she wanted to. I move her backwards on to her bed and we sit there until she lays down and snuggles up to my chest. About 15 minutes later she is asleep.

Savannah comes to check on us then.

"Is she sleeping?" She whispers.

I nod back to her and she smiles and looks at me like my mom does. Savannah clearly loves Megan like her own child even though she has only been here for a couple days. Megan is just the kind of person that people easily love. I wonder if Savannah knows that Megan will be leaving. As gently as I can I get out of Megan's bed and follow Savannah out to the kitchen.

"Savannah?"

"Yes?"

"Would you adopt Megan?"

"Yes of course."

"Why don't you?"

"Me and Oliver wanted to right from the start, but because her mother lives to close... It just isn't safe for her or Axle."

"Why don't you move? Then you could adopt them and they wouldn't ever have to be serperated."

I don't want Megan to move I want her to stay here, but no matter what, she has to leave and Oliver and Savannah care about her, and she cares about them. If Oliver and Savannah move then she can stay with people who care about her.

"I guess I never thought about that. I will talk to Oliver about it."