Chapter 12 Axle (J)

Chapter 12 Jake

As Megan explained to me everything about Axle we walked to the office to meet Axle there.

Megan started telling me about when Axle was in 7th grade she tried killing herself. From then on Megan took her to therapy twice a week after school. Axle started cutting herself in 9th grade. She got better for a period of time when they got comfortable in Arizona, then her mom dropped the bomb that they were moving here. Axle doesn't make friends easily and she really bonded with Courtney Stewart, Megan's bestfriend, and Courtney's little brother, Collin. As we get closer to the office she starts to hurry her words together to fit in the whole story

Megan tells me about Monday night when she went home to find Axle screaming and crying in her room.

Then she starts to tell me about her mom. Megan's mom works full time for an unknown company and isn't around much. Megan's dad died right after Axle was born and Megan doesn't dare bring him up for fear her mother might get upset.

When we reach the office, Axle is there waiting for us... Megan. When she sees me her face lights up with a large grin. I notice that Axle is wearing a long sleeve shirt when it is 75% outside. She must get really warm in the summer. unless she is only with her family where she doesn't have to hide her scarred arms.

"It's Jake right?" Axle asks in a high pitched voice.

"Yea, it's nice to officially meet you, Axle." I smile at her.

I wonder how many people know about her past.

Megan gives me a sideways glance before moving beside Axle to face me.

"Thank you, Jake. It was really nice to talk to someone about all of that and I'm truly sorry if it is a burden for you" Megan says as she gives me a shy smile.

"Would you guys like a ride home?" I know Kelsey will be beyond mad if she ever finds out about this, but Megan is a nice girl and She can't control who I am friends with.

Megan looks really surprised that I ask but she accepts.

As we walk out to my car Axle starts asking me questions about myself.

She starts off with, "What's your favorite color."

"That's an easy one. Blue" I say

"Favorite animal?"

"Lion, what is yours?"

"Puma, soup?"

Why would she want to know what my favorite kind of soup is?

"Chicken noodle I guess... Why do you ask?"

"I don't know. Just wondering."

Megan gives me directions to their house on the way there.

As I pull up to a small shed it doesn't even seem like some one could actually live here. At most it must have 6 rooms.

Megan looks embarrassed at my reaction. I quickly try to recover my expression.

"Would you like to come in?" She asks shyly.

"I would love to, but I cant I have to meet up with Kelsey to do some homework." Megan's face gets even more red than it was before. "I'm really sorry. Could I next time?"

"Of course!" Axle sings from the back seat.

I wait in the driveway as I watch them walk into the house. When they are out of sight I start the drive to Kelsey's house knowing a fight is waiting for me.

"What the hell!" She screams as soon as I pull up to her house.

"Kelsey calm down. I just have her a ride home." By the look on her face, that wasn't what she was talking about.

"You what?" She says through clenched teeth.

"She has a little sister named Axle and neither of them have a car so I drove them home dropped them off and came straight here."

"I told you to stay away from her!" She some how got louder than before.

"Kelsey why are you so mad? I didn't do anything wrong and you can't control who I am friends with." That obviously was not what he wanted to hear.

She gives me a sweet smile and says calmly "She is not your friend. You have known her for three days. Two of those days you we're suppose to stay away from her. She is only going to ruin us. That's all she is trying to do."

How did she mange to go from screaming her head off to calmly telling me that Megan wants to ruin our relationship?

"She doesn't even know we are together..."