Chapter 15 Megan

Chapter 15 Megan

"Hey, Axle wait up!" I call to her on the way home.

She turns around and glares at me. "Maybe if you went a little faster I could do more than eat, homework and then go to bed before I got home."

"Fine, sorry don't wait for me."

Her words sting in my chest. She has never talked to me like that before.

When I get home I make pancakes and scrambled eggs for diner. Axle takes a plate from the cupboard puts a pancake on it and walks to her room. I follow her and she slams the door in my face.

"What's going on." I call through the door.

"Nothing leave me alone!" She calls back and something bangs against the door.

Mom gets home early tonight and her eyes widen in surprise as she sees me reading at the table.

"Here." She puts some cash on table.

"What is this for?" I continue to stare at it.

"Groceries. I thought you and Axle could get some after school tomorrow. Whatever you want, and you can use the extra for a new shirt or something."

This must be her way of apologizing for last night.

"Axle doesn't want to do anything with me." I can tell my voice sounds sad and she hears it right away.

The corners of her mouth turn down. "Why not?"

"Teen years I guess. She snapped at me on the way home and then ate diner in her room."

Mom looks enraged at this. She stomps down the hall way and pounds on Axle's door.

"Open this door now!" She screams.

I run after her. "Mom it's ok. Maybe she had a bad day or something it's no big deal."

She ignores me and continues to bang against the door. A few second later Axle opens the door.

She grabs Axle by the front of the shirt and screams in her face. "What the hell is wrong with you! Why would you yell at Megan when all she does is care for you when I can't? How dare you treat her with such disrespect after all these years and how many times has she saved your life? How many times has she came running when you were screaming for help in your room?"

I have never seen my mother this angry before and she only seems to be getting madder as she continues.

"Axle! Never ever do that again! Do you understand?"

Axle has tears in her eyes. "Yea mom where were you! Kids tease me and bully me at school and you don't know what it's like! You don't have time to listen to me! You get home late and sleep till one in the afternoon!"

Before I realize what is happening my mother has her fist in Axle's stomach, again and again she slams into Axle.

"Mom!" I scream as I grab her arm.

Axle is now a crumpled mess on the ground. My eyes go blurry from tears.