She's Mine: Prologue

* 7/22/21: There is a rewrite in the works! The updated chapters and manuscript will be a Patreon exclusive before updating on Wattpad. This original draft (with all original Wattpad drafts since I joined over a decade ago) of "She's Mine" will also be available as a manuscript for my VIP Patrons!  :) *

Prologue

In a stagnant room, an exhausted body lie awake and departed in the middle of the darkness. On her side, and unable to move with ease, she felt helplessly anchored in the firm hospital bed. Yet the discomfort was mild compared to the unanticipated milestone she concluded mere hours ago.

Silver latches folded into the door and unhurried footsteps resounded into the dusky expanse. With a quick flip, the grey atmosphere was washed away by bright fluorescent lights. A set of weary eyes studied over the small cup of ice cubes that were abandoned by the bedside for quite some time. Like her many hours ago, the cup was sweating all over– leaving the cloth underneath it drenched in it's perspiration. 

The tray was pushed back by a middle-aged nurse that carried a loving smile on her face; however, the patient refused to see anything but the pattern of flowers across the scrubs. She was lifted with care as the woman, indented with endearing wrinkles at the corners of her eyes, replaced the weary head's soft pillow.

The nurse titled her furrowed face and let the woman on the bed hear her soft voice for the first time, "Do you need anything, dear?" 

The sweet worker was given nothing– lips did not part, and a body did not move. Tired eyes were still set ahead, now peering at the white wall. 

"Okay. I'll leave you to rest," the woman whispered– a doleful tone this time. Foot steps echoed back out into the busy hall, and the door was softly closed from behind. 

The patient didn't expect to be rushing to the hospital the night before. She was unprepared for the early arrival and was anticipating an overnight stay for the following week. 

After all of this time, somehow she was still fearful of what had just happened. For many months now, she knew it was coming. She thought she knew what was going to happen, until the time arrived– the moment that she understood would change her life forever. 

Rich brown curls were still messily divided over a deadpan face. She had no energy to shift any part of her body, nor did she have the desire to do so. 

The hurried movements and frequent opening and closing of the door hardly bothered her. She chose to ignore the generous and frequent bouts of life that intermittently filled the room. The nurses were only doing their duties, tending to her bed and making sure her room was prepared for an unwanted guest. None of the activity had her attention until her view was blocked by a uniform patterned with delighted ladybugs. Like she knew it would happen, she was asked the same frightening question again; consequently, the silence was returned.

Behind this young nurse was another, placing down a small tray of cut fruits and vegetables.

This time it was a soft mellow voice that suggested, "You should eat something." 

A weak and vacant stare lifted up to the young woman. She saw the hope in anticipating brown eyes accompanied by an innocent and gummy smile. 

"I'm not hungry," an exhausted voice returned.

She could see the round face of the young woman be filled with disappointment. It was strange to see someone so fresh-faced so early into the morning. However, it wasn't the wavering look of joy that disturbed the patient, but the mere presence of a young, cherub-faced girl before her. 

The nurse took in a deep breath and nodded before rolling on her Crocs and strutting to the window. The tired person in the bed didn't want her to part the blinds, but she told the nurse nothing and let the bright morning sun blind her.