XXX. MY GIRL

Eichen House was just as terrifying as Harper had remembered it, if not even scarier at night. Lamp posts around the gates lit up the looming building, but everything beyond the walls was stiff- as if it was dead inside. Harper's breath created foggy patterns in the air as she stood beside Lydia, holding her arms for some warmth. Harry had opted for not going to Eichen House, he just couldn't handle it. Thankfully, Harper understood. She would probably be the same if it was anyone but Stiles.

Red and blue lights were flashing from behind the teenage girls as they waited for Sheriff Stilinski to turn up. Harper leaned her head on Lydia's shoulder, staring at the building that her boyfriend could be inside.

"We'll find him, Harper," Lydia leaned her head on top of the brunettes, "I promise."

"I know," she spoke shakily, "I just hate this place so much."

A look dawned upon Lydia's face as if she had only just remembered all of the Verum/Valack family histories that had gone down in this building. She reached her hand out and grabbed Harper's arm, giving it a squeeze through the cropped knitted sweater she was wearing.

"I'll be by your side every second," the redhead swore, "nothing will happen to you."

Harper managed a small smile just as the sound of a car door slamming echoed from beside them. A familiar body appeared by their sides. Harper glanced up and saw Noah Stilinski stood there, a distraught look on his tired face.

"Lydia," he looked at not Harper but the other girl, "I don't want to say 'are you sure about this', but-"

"No, he's here," Lydia cut him off confidently, "I swear to god he's here."

Sheriff Stilinski released a breath, glancing up at the tall metal gates keeping people out and the patients in.

...

"It's here," Lydia insisted as they turned into one of the many hallways on the basement level of the insane asylum, "I swear it's here."

Scott, Harper, Lydia, Aiden, and Noah all stared at the bolted door at the end of the hall. Harper didn't say anything but made a move towards it first, Stiles' dad right behind her. She really prayed that Lydia was right, that Stiles was down there so they could just take him home.

"Stand back," Noah warned before lifting his leg and slamming it into the door that wouldn't budge.

It flew open, collecting dust on the way that could only be picked up by the torch in Sheriff Stilinski's hand and it's scent.

"Stiles?" Harper called worriedly as they raced down the metal staircase.

Everybody looked around, their faces falling and their bodies slowing when no response came. Harper's body sagged in defeat as she realised that her strawberry blonde friend had been wrong and Stiles was nowhere in sight. In fact, it almost looked like nobody had been down here in years with the number of cobwebs covering everything.

Scott wrapped his arm around his best friend when he saw the look on her face. He was upset too, but he maintained a clenched jaw and looked to Noah for further instructions. Scott had been good at that since he became a creature of the night. He rarely allowed his emotions to get in the way of things, despite the fact that he was one of the kindest people Harper knew.