XXIV. MISCHIEF NIGHT

Mischief Night was a tradition that Beacon students took very seriously, consequences or not. The day before Halloween was always filled with laughter and screams as teenagers ran around recklessly, pulling pranks on peers and teachers alike. Many teachers called in sick on October 30th, but never Bobby Finstock.

Every single year, Stiles and Scott would sneak into the school as soon as Mischief Night began and find a different way to make Coach Finstock angry. And every single year they would also beg Harper to come along, however she always declined.

Last night she was shaken awake at ten past twelve to a grinning Scott, telling her that Stiles was about to call any minute and they had to leave. Instead of Harper slipping some clothes on and following him out the door, he earned a pillow to the head and a mouthful of curse words he was sure wouldn't escape the friendly girl during the day time.

That was why it was a surprise when Harper turned up at Stiles' locker the next morning, a bounce in her step and a smile on her face as she greeted them happily.

"Hey guys," the petite brunette chirped, leaning up onto her toes and pressing a kiss to Stiles' jaw.

Stiles grinned down at her, "not that I don't love that smile, but what's got you in such a good mood?"

His hand reached on top of her head, his slender fingers peeling out some confetti from her hair. He inspected it with furrowed brows for a second.

"I got it launched at me as soon as I came through the door," she giggled slightly, running her hands through her curled hair, "I don't know, it's kinda nice to see everyone so happy."

Stiles glanced around at the hallway and realised what she meant. Teenagers were running around and laughing, a huge contrast to the usually dead atmosphere of Beacon Hills High.

Scott raised his eyebrows, "you've never liked Mischief Night. In fact, you've never been so mean to me than this morning when I asked you to come with us," he joked, "I was feeling genuinely insecure."

Harper laughed whole heartedly, a noise that pleased both of her best friends. They loved to see her so happy, for whatever reason it may be. Their lives were pretty bad at the moment, so at least one of them was having a good time. And if it was going to be any of them, both Scott and Stiles believed Harper deserved it the most.

"Sorry," she shrugged, smiling a little.

"Do you think that everybody else being happy is making you happy?" Stiles thought after a while of rummaging through his locker, "like, if everyone was scared, you would be scared too?"

"Maybe," Harper hummed, pursing her lips together as she tried not to think about it, "personally, I don't care. I feel amazing."

"Good," her boyfriend flung his arm over her shoulder, "I am so very glad."

The couple noticed Scott's silence and saw him staring at the lockers across the hall. Harper caught sight of Kira Yukimura shoving some books into her bag and she smirked a little.

"What are you looking at?" Stiles teased as he turned back to his books.

"Me?" Scott snapped out of it.

"You," Stiles nodded, pulling some egg cartons out of his bag and putting them into his locker, "you looking at her?"

"Who her?" The alpha decided to play dumb.