V. VIRGINS

virgins

virgins

"Sorry, did I wake you up?"

"No. No, don't worry," Lydia's voice came from the other end of the phone, "I'm on my way to the shops right now. I ran out of Ibuprofen and I have a killer headache."

Harper frowned, "oh. Well, in that case, since you're already awake and driving around, would you mind picking me up?" She asked, kicking around a leaf on the icy pavement beneath her feet.

"Sure. Where from?"

"Beacon Hills First National Bank," Harper cringed as she waited for Lydia's dramatic reaction, which came less than a second later.

"Beacon Hills First National Bank?" She repeated, almost in a shriek, "you mean that bank with the symbol that Allison thought was on our wrists?"

Harper gave a short nod, despite the strawberry blonde not being able to see her on the other end of the line.

"That would be the one," she stepped on the leaf she had been moving around, the crunching noise satisfying to her ears, "I promise I'll explain everything when you get here."

Lydia huffed on the other end, "you are so lucky you are my best friend, Harper Verum, or I would not be picking you up from that creepy bank at almost eleven at night."

Harper grinned, "and I am so lucky that you are my best friend, Lydia Martin. Please hurry though, I'm literally gonna freeze to death."

"Okay, okay, I'll be there in five minutes max."

...

"Thank you so much," Harper let out a shaky breath from the cold as she climbed into Lydia's new car, instantly feeling warmer as she rubbed her hands together, "I'll repay you with anything you want."

"I need to borrow that dress you got last year when we went shopping," Lydia mentioned as she began to drive down the road, "you know, the black one with the cute floral patterns on it that you wore on the first day of school yesterday."

Harper nodded quickly, "done and done."

Lydia hummed, "so," she raised an eyebrow, "why were you and Allison at the bank anyway? And why didn't she give you a lift home? Did you piss her off? Tell her that that coat of hers is hideous?"

"What? No!" Harper shook her head, "I like Allison's coat... But anyway, that's beside the point. Allison wanted to go there to see if she could find out about the bruises on your wirsts, to see if it meant anything."

"And did it?" Lydia looked at her sceptically through the review mirror.

Harper sighed, "yeah. We found Erica and Boyd."

Lydia shrugged, "oh, that's good then," her voice went higher as she chirped.

Tears filled Harper's eyes again, "Erica's dead."