Voice of Truth [Chpt 16]

Chapter 16 - Piece of the Puzzle

I took my clothes and put them in my suitcase. Sam is coming to get me tomorrow morning. I wonder what he'll do when he sees me. I can only imagine.

"How long am I staying there?" I asked Ethan as he sat on my bed watching me.

He shrugged. "After a couple of days we'll see how you feel and you can come back."

"I'm sorry I've been putting you through all this."

"I know you're hurting inside. But you really need to stop putting yourself in pain. I knew something bad would happen right after that first day when Jake died."

I rubbed my arms remembering I cut myself because I was so upset.

"Promise me you won't hurt yourself anymore."

I stared down at the floor thinking through things.

"Promise me." He said in a louder tone.

"I promise."

He eased up and leaned against the wall. "By the way I heard Mya picked you up last night. She didn't even bother to call me about this."

"I told her not to."

"Well I'm glad she listens to you."

"Sorry."

He sighed. "Let's just end this conversation."

I nodded agreeing because I really didn't want to think of it.

"Thank you for getting Jake's bracelet back." I looked at my wrist.

"I know it's special to you."

I nodded.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Yeah, what?"

"Why didn't you ever tell me that you were afraid of me?"

"I thought we were going to end this conversation."

"Yeah . . . that conversation. This is a different one."

I sighed. "I don't know. I didn't think it mattered."

"Of course it matters. If I ever get too angry stop me, okay?"

"Yeah, okay."

I looked away from his eyes. Even though we said everything that needed to be said I still feel like something hasn't been solved. I feel like something is missing, a piece of the puzzle. Something isn't fitting right. I'm incomplete; I need something to fit the piece I'm missing.

I was ready to leave with Sam. I had everything packed and ready to go. I'm actually still tired and I could use a nap. Ethan didn't leave until late last night. He was probably worried. I didn't really mind him staying since I was worried myself. Feeling unprotected is something you don't want. It still hasn't left me from the other night. Every now and then I'll get this feeling of no escape.

The door opened suddenly and startled me. It was just Ethan. His eyes were filled with sympathy when he saw me. The last thing I need is someone to feel sorry for me.

"Feeling any better today?" He asked.

I shrugged.

"Sam said he'll be here in ten minutes."

"Okay."

Ethan walked over to the couch and leaned forward on it.

"You're going to be hot with your hoodie on." He said.