Voice of Truth [Chpt 2]

Chapter Two - Nothing Lasts Forever

Wasn't that movie so wonderful? Bloody, gory, horror movie just like Ethan likes it. I left five times during the movie. Jake kept asking if I wanted to leave, but I never did. I couldn't just wait to get out of there! We're outside and no one was out yet. I was just happy to get fresh air. We were walking and all of sudden five teenagers came out and stopped us.

"We were waiting for you." One guy said.

"Uh, can we help you?" Jake asked.

"Ethan, that's who we want." The guy replied.

Everyone turned around and looked at him.

Ethan cracked his knuckles. "Who's asking?"

"Ethan, no you're not getting in a fight." Jake said.

"You're gonna pay for what you did." The guy said.

Ethan stepped up. "You deserved it."

The guy pushed him.

"Don't touch me." Ethan punched him.

"Ethan stop!" Jake yelled.

Sam, Jake, and Ethan all started getting in fights. Mya and I were over to the side. Jake never gets in fights. Never.

"You guys stop!" I screamed. "We have to do something." I said to Mya.

Mya just stood there.

"Aren't you worried?" I asked her.

"No."

"Why not? They could get hurt!"

She looked at me. "I'm not worried, because he never loses."

Those words stuck to me. 'Because he never loses.'

There was a gunshot and my heart stopped. Who got shot? I thought as I looked over. My whole world crashed to pieces and that little light of mine that has been lit for years has finally gone out.

"Jake!" I screamed.

"Let's get out of here." One kid said.

I went to go run over to Jake but Ethan held me back.

"Let me go!" I yelled.

"Sam call nine one, one!" Ethan demanded.

"Ethan let me go!" I yelled at him.

"Give him space!" He said.

"No, let me go!" I started getting shaky as the tears rolled down my face.

I heard the ambulance come because they were just down the street.

"Please." I begged.

The ambulance pulled up and they ran to Jake.

Ethan turned me around and held my arms tight. "Kasie, it's going to be fine, okay?"

"No it's not! He's hurt because of you!"

Sam came over. "Ethan I'll take her." He said.

Ethan took his hands off me and with a sorrow face he said "I'm sorry."

Sam took me away.

We were at the hospital and the Doctor said he might not make it. What am I going to do if I lose him? My whole life is turning into a horror movie.

Ethan left with Sam and Mya a while ago. I'll end up being here all night. Jake's mom is in his room and his dad just went back home. I sat on the bench alone with my knees pulled up to my chest, my hand covering my mouth, and my eyes shut tight. Maybe if I could concentrate hard enough I could picture myself back home talking on the phone with Jake.