Voice of Truth [Chpt 8]

Chapter 8 - Friend

I was in the car with Ethan the next morning. We're going to see Sam before he leaves. Then I am stuck with Ethan . . . for the whole summer. The whole stupid summer . . . It just makes me want to cry. Then what Ethan told me last night. He's going to try to make it work. It won't happen. Our friendship will always be apart. It's like I don't even know him.

"Kasie," Ethan said.

I looked over at him.

"When Sam leaves . . . it's just going to be the two of us, you know that?"

"Yeah." I said looking out the window again.

"When Jake said that I have to watch you . . . what were you thinking?"

What was I thinking? Why Jake picked him. That's what. I didn't want him to watch me. I didn't want it. I thought maybe he'd tell Sam to bring me with him. No, that's not going to happen.

"Kasie." Ethan said.

"Huh? Oh, uh . . . why do you want to know?" I asked avoiding the question.

"I don't know. I just kind of thought about it."

"I was wondering why Jake picked you." I whispered.

"What?" He said.

"I was wondering why Jake picked you." I said louder.

He didn't say anything.

"I don't hate you." I said. "I haven't spoken to you in 6 years . . . I guess I've been mad at myself lately. I pushed you away when I met Jake and I felt like that's why we never talked. Then the other part is . . . I feel like I'm the one who got Jake shot. He asked me that night if I still wanted to go to the movies. I still said yes. If I said no; Jake would have been here right now." I shed a tear as I said it.

"It's not your fault. It's mine. I shouldn't have fought them in the first place . . . Don't blame yourself. If you want to blame someone blame me. It won't hurt my feelings any."

I glanced over at him and looked back out the window. We came to Sam's house and Ethan parked on the side of the road. The moving truck was in their drive way. I got out of the car and walked up to his house. The door was wide open so I just walked in. I looked around. Everything was empty. The hard wood floor was spotless and no photo's hung on the wall like Sam's mom usually has it.

"Sam! Put that box in the car!" I heard Sam's mom yell.

"K!" Sam yelled closer. I looked over and Sam stood in front of me carrying a box. "I didn't even know you were here." Sam said.

"Yeah, I just got here."

"We're almost ready to leave." He said walking up to me.

"I can see that." I said looking around.

We walked outside together. I looked over by the car and Ethan leaned against the car texting. That guy never puts down that phone. I walked over with Sam to his car. He put a box in the back seat and shut the door.

"You can come visit anytime." Sam said.

"Yeah, I know."

He looked over at Ethan who was now staring at us then looked back at me.

"Will you be okay?" He asked.

"I'll have to live with it either way."

"It will be fine. You can call whenever."

"Okay." I said knowing all of this because he already said most of this once before.

"Hey, just a little advice. I'd hang out with Mya more than I would Ethan. She texted me last night. I'm guessing you and Ethan argue a lot."