Voice of Truth [Chpt 13]

Chapter 13 - Hurt

I came out of the bathroom from taking a shower. Ethan will probably come over. Actually he is coming over. I rolled my eyes at the thought of it and picked up my cell phone. I checked for any calls, voicemails, or text messages. There was one text message. From Alec. I opened the text message.

'What are you doing today?'

I have a very good guess that Alec wants to hang out today. Ethan doesn't want me near him. But I don't know why. Alec seems like a good guy. He 'seems' like a good guy. Ethan's coming over. So I have a good excuse. That sounds mean. Using Ethan for an excuse. I shrugged to myself not thinking anything more of it. I replied back saying I was hanging out with Ethan today. I put the phone in my pocket and went downstairs. I went to go sit on the couch but then the door opened. Ethan came in.

"Why are you here so early?" I asked him as he shut the door.

"I couldn't sleep well last night so I was up early." He answered.

I crossed my arms in front of my chest.

"What?" He asked.

"Nothing." I shook my head as I said it.

Ethan came over and sat on the couch. He did look exhausted. I wonder what kept him up all night. My phone vibrated.

"Who are you texting?" He asked not looking at me.

"No one in particular."

He raised an eyebrow at me like he didn't believe me. "Who are you texting?" He asked again.

"Do you need to know everything?"

He shrugged. "Sometimes."

"Where's Mya today?"

"Shopping."

"You didn't want to go?"

"It's girl shopping." He corrected. "Don't ever, ever go to the store with Mya's mom."

"Okay . . ."

I sat on the couch away from him. He looked at me curious like he was about to ask something.

"What?" I asked.

"I don't know. You always sit away from me like I'm going to bite you."

I wouldn't doubt it.

"Sorry. I just want my space."

"You planning to do something today?" He changed the subject.

I thought about it. My phone vibrated again. I took my phone out and opened the text message.

'Ditch him and hang with me. You already hung out with him the other day.' Alec said in his message.

I looked at Ethan who was staring at me and I looked back at the message. I have been hanging out with Ethan for a while. And to tell you the truth I kind of do need my space. I also think that Ethan wants his space too.

"I was actually asked to hang out with one of my friends." Ethan continued saying. "But I can stay if -."

"No." I said stopping him. "You can hang out with your friend. I was planning on going shopping." I lied to him.

"Shopping? You don't want me to help."

"Girl shopping, Ethan."

"Forget I asked."

I smirked to myself. Ethan stood up and started backing up to the door.

"So . . . you'll be okay today?" He asked.