Building Trust

Chocolate (by The 1975)

"No we're never gonna' quit it, no we're never gonna' quit it no. Yeah we're dressed in black from head to toe, we've got guns hidden under our petticoats . . ."

__

Pick The Plot (Chapter Seven)

The rest of the afternoon had been arguably boring compared to the events of that morning. Well, not to Owen. After lunch, their team had gone back into the jungle in search of more dinosaurs. Much to Damian's disappointment and Owen's joy, there were only a few more close-calls with dinosaurs, although they weren't life-threatening.

Owen only felt relief when the prisoners were released to get washed and ready for dinner. He was exhausted after today, and the only thing he wanted was sleep. That, and a long shower. Though he wasn't sure where the showers were, or if this book even had them (it did, he found out later).

The long line of time prisoners were led on either side by guards, who directed where each person would go. As they walked through the hallways, Kara beside him, Owen let his mind wander. Although every hallway looked similar, he had begun to notice which ones looked familiar and which didn't. That was definitely a warning sign that he'd already been here too long.

"I have a plan for tonight," Kara said, breaking him out of his thoughts.

Excitement burst inside Owen. Instantly, he leaned closer to her, his voice at a whisper. "What is it?"

"We're gonna look for the time bracelets. But we can't get caught. We need to somehow get around the guards. They're always patrolling everywhere at night."

"They don't go to sleep?" He felt shocked.

Kara shook her head, her short hair moving with her. "I don't think so."

Ugh, really? Of course the bad guys never slept. This was the way it always worked in books. Except Owen didn't have an invisibility cloak or one of Kiel's spells to help him out. So that meant, well . . . they'd have to sneak around some other way. The more risky way.

In the end, he and Kara decided to wait until midnight to look for the time bracelets. They agreed that this was the best time, not only because the other prisoners would be asleep, but also due to the main element of sneaking around– you were way less likely to get caught when it was dark.

Once inside their cells, Owen prepared himself for the night, trying not to get too excited as his hopes crawled up. What if he actually . . . escaped tonight? How amazing would that be? He already had it all mapped out in his head.

Kara was the main character, and that meant she was going to escape the time prison no matter what. If the main character didn't escape, that wouldn't be much of a book. It wasn't an 'if' about how they'd escape, but when . This flooded Owen with newfound hope. Even if it didn't seem like there was a way out yet, Kara would find one.

And somehow, once they did, Owen would head back to the Doc Twilight comic books. He'd find Bethany, Gwen, and Charm, and of course, bring home Bethany's father (assuming he'd been turned back from the Dark). Owen would say something to make Charm laugh, and Bethany's father would thank him over and over for his heroic deeds. Mission accomplished. He'd be a hero!

WHAT PATH WOULD YOU LIKE FOR OWEN?

1) He needs to go to bed! The search for the time bracelets can happen later, and he needs rest!

2) He should stay awake and keep visualizing himself as a hero.

Go to bed, a calming thought floated through his mind. You shouldn't worry about staying awake to find those time bracelets .