All You've Got

May had finally rolled around. The end of the year was never something special. Yet, this year it was. Alaina, Andy, Vinh, Stella, and I were all going to be seniors next year. We were on the next step to the end of our lives. This was the time of guidance meetings with the college adviser. I was making my way down there now. There would be a change. Next year, it wouldn't be Mrs. Knuckle, it would be someone else. But I still had a decision to make. I had to choose the rest of my life now, in these few moments.

"You can go straight back, Matt," the secretary smiled softly at me.

"Thank you," I nodded.

"Ah, Matt, just on time," Mrs. Knuckle smiled at me. "Come in, have a seat. You can take a piece of candy if you'd like."

"No thank you," I sat down. "I don't like sweets."

"Interesting," she wheeled her chair around, smiling brightly. "So have you thought about what you want to do after you graduate?"

"I considered becoming a politician or owning a business," I set my bag on the table. "I think that I'd rather go into the marines first. I'll become a reserve and go to college then and decide for sure what I want then."

"Great," she typed something into her laptop. "Have you spoken with a recruiter?"

"No, not yet," I shrugged.

"Pay attention next school year, plenty visit our school and they are a good help about getting you signed up and ready to join."

"Thank you," I nodded.

"Everything good for you at work and school and home?"

"Yeah, everything's great. My friends support my decision and I think I will do great."

"Good," Mrs. Knuckle smiled. "You're free to leave then."

I stood up. The Marines. I was in for a hell of a lot of training. I wouldn't be home for a long time but maybe it's the break I needed. When I talked with Alaina the other day, I realized I had been stagnant for too long. I needed away from this place. 

I walked out of the guidance office. Down the hall a bit, was Stella, headed toward where I left.

"Hey," I called to her. "Do you want to go out on a date?"

There was no use in playing around anymore. I was going to try. I would forge my own path and create my own adventure. 

"Want to go out to eat?" she asked.

"Sure, I'll pick a time and place that works with my schedule and I'll text you," I smiled.

"Perfect," she grinned. "I'll see you around, Matt. I'm going to be late for my meeting."

"See ya," I walked back the long way towards the library.

I did it. I made a change. I was making big decisions. I had turned eighteen four months ago and I hadn't done anything different until now. Here I was, creating my own future.

I was excited.