In Which We Begin a Grand Adventure

I walk out of homeroom to find Andy waiting for me. I didn't know he knew where my homeroom was. I give him a soft smile. Our conversation from last night lingers in my mind. I'm still ultimately confused on what the hell I'm doing, but I do enjoy his presence. 

"So, how has your day been?" Andy wraps his arm around my shoulders. 

"Andy, you were texting me in class all day. You know full well what my day was like." I sigh.

"Oh, fairy princess JJ swift!" Andy calls down the adjacent hallway.

He stops walking, holding me hostage under his arm. I'm not sure whether I'm uncomfortable or I like being this close to a person. This fairy princess JJ swift is the same boy that called Matthew a faggot. So this is Matt's brother. He looks completely different from Matt. This boy has blue-green eyes and light brown hair. They seem almost mysteriously related aside from their structure. They're built the same way.

"Hello Andy." Fairy princess JJ swift comes up. "What do you want?"

"We're going home with you." Andy lets me go. I feel a slight loss. What kind of inhumane monster am I? Loving human affection. Gross.

"I didn't know about that."

"We're hanging out with Matthew after school, you get to go home." Andy smiled. "I have it all played out. This is Alina. Alina, this is Jordan aka fairy princess JJ swift."

I nod slowly. This is getting weird. I don't understand it.

We stand outside the back entrance of the high school. Matt told us to wait here. Andy and Jordan mess around, teasing each other. I keep my distance from the two. I'm begging in my head for Matt to get over here so I don't feel so awkward. Finally, I spot him. I'm so relieved. 

"Hey there." I say. 

"Let's get going." Matt unclips his keys from his belt loop, swinging them around his fingers. That's a weird thing. "Where is Leigh?" He looks at his brother.

"Who knows?" Jordan starts walking off into the parking lot.

"Leigh?" I ask.

"My sister." Matt pulls out his phone, texting I assume Leigh. He starts walking off into the parking lot as well. I follow, Andy close behind. 

Matt stops at a gray car. It's old by the looks of it. It has the look of one of those 80s-90s cars that the two teenagers drive up to makeout spots in movies. The front seats have the seat belts that are attached to the door that hilariously move forward when the door is opened. It's a two door car too. I love how classy it seems but on the inside, it's a mess. I can see it from here.

Andy crawls into the back first thing. I stand outside the door, leaning against the side. I refuse to accept anything below the front seat. I never get it when my sister is around. I demand the right. Jordan seems to take this and gets in alongside Andy. 

"Well fuck you then." Matt shoves his phone back in his pocket. "Get in, Leigh isn't coming along."

"Yes," Andy cheers quietly from the back seat, pushing Taylor over on the other side of the bench. 

I push the seat back sitting down. I automatically reach for the seat belt as I close the door only to remember this car is old and I don't have to do that. Matt laughs at me.

"Comfortable?" I hear Jordan ask.

Andy has laid himself down, resting his head on Jordan's leg. I guess they've known each other long enough. I'm still finding this weird.

"No," Andy sighs. "You're too bony." Andy pokes his stomach. "No wonder you don't get any head."

I start laughing. Guys are so weird. No filters, no insults. It's just all a joke to them. I feel so awkward, laughter is the only solution I have.

Jordan shoves Andy off his lap and onto the floor. Andy laughs, getting back up into his seat. Matt starts the car, the radio coming on loud. I reach for the dial I assume controls volume. The music gets quiet quickly. Matt smacks my hand away from it. 

"My music." He says, switching between a few songs. He settles on something that sounds like alternative rock.  I could deal with this.

"Music, ha." Andy scoffs.

"Quiet you." Matt shifts gears, driving out of his spot. He pulls into the line of cars waiting to make their exit. 

"Your speakers are kind of busted." I comment. 

The car goes quiet. Everyone's staring at me. I look quickly down, I can feel myself going red. There's words written on the glove compartment. Acura Integra. Huh, so this car is pretty old. 

"She said it." I hear Andy whisper to Jordan.

Oh shit I fucked up. Me and my stupid mouth.

"I know they're busted." I hear the entire car roll their eyes as Matt starts talking. "But I have to fix other things first. Like, my radio is falling out. I need to update my flash drive. My one taillight is going to go out soon. I need to fix my right brake pad. It all needs fixed, and I'm getting there. Jesus fucking Christ."

I stay quiet. I triggered him. 

"I almost-" Matt starts again.

"Matthew," Andy speaks up from the back. "That's enough."

Matthew pulls up to the exit. No other cars are coming. He steps on the gas, going fast quick. He stops at the stop sign, turning right.

"You drive like a maniac. You're some street punk." I say.

Matt just laughs. He knows. "This is how I drive all the time."

Matt drives fast on his way home. Everyone stays quiet. It's an awkward ride. Matt pulls down the driveway of a faded blue house. The house is very nondescript.

"Get the fuck out of my car." Matt looks back at Jordan.

"Fuck you." Jordan answers.

"I'll be right back," Matt steps out. Jordan follows him inside the house.

"Yo, Andy." I look at him. "What are we even doing today?"

"Ice skating." Andy smiles. "I've never been and I want to."

I glance down at my military backpack. Good thing it was cold this morning. I have a second sweatshirt and my gloves. I've only been ice skating five times. It's always cold in there. Usually, I'd bundle up more but this was a surprise attack.

Matt comes back. "Alright kids, let's go."

Matt's back to crazy driving. I don't dare look at his speedometer. I don't want to know how dangerously I'm living right now. His hands find the radio again though, switching to country music. Are you kidding me?

"Turn it off." I whine. "Country music is awful."

"No, it's my music and I like it." Matt says.

"Andyyy." I turn around. "Help me out."

Andy pulls an earbud out of his ear. "What? Eww, Matt turn of your shitty country music."

"What are you listening to?" 

"Totally not French music." Andy slides his phone a bit further under his leg. 

"But you're only in French II."

"Okay, technically I'm in French V. The only people signed up for it are me and this girl Vinh. So, we sit in with the French II class which c'est formidable because I get to spend time with my Luna."

I nod, I didn't even know. I just made the assumption because he was in my grade that he was in my class. Man, was I wrong. I had to stop with these stupid assumptions. You know what they say, to assume means to make an ass out of you and me.

I stare out the window. I know the closest ice rink is at least forty-five minutes away. I stare out the window, content to sit in the silence, or whatever the hell this is, with my boys, ready for adventure.