They Found Love and I Could Give Less of a Shit

I'm waiting outside Ms. Passanora's English class. She has a free period second block so she always disappears before third. My music is in my ear. I'm listening to nightcore. I've gotten obsessed with that lately.

Someone's arm wraps around me. I tense up. I look over to see Ava.

"What the fuck? Get off." I step away.

"No, come back," she whines.

"What the hell?"

"Vinh broke up with me." Ava looks tired, like she'd stayed up all night. 

"Well, that sucks."

I honestly didn't give a fuck about their relationship. Vinh identified her sexuality as asexual, she didn't like the whole kissing portion of the relationship either. Ava was different. Ava needed that kind of attention to survive. She formed psychological dependence on temporary partners, which is why she chose to become a lesbian and ask out Vinh.

"I'm so lonely," Ava looked almost like she would cry.

I didn't feel myself caring very much.

Ms. Passanora came back, unlocking the classroom. Thank God, an escape. I walked in, setting my stuff down at my desk. The first half hour of class went by with discussion on a new project we were going to work on. I headed off to lunch, leaving Ava behind.

The saddest part about relationships in high school was that no one took them seriously. I toyed around with people before but that's only when I felt nothing in return for them. Then again, I really had no clue what I was doing.

I sat down at our table. Alina and Andy showed up. Both were happy and chatty.

"So, did you hear the news?" Alina smiled at me.

"What?" I ask. I had no fucking clue.

"Yes, he hasn't heard yet!" Andy threw his arm around my shoulders. Fuck, I couldn't escape. "Well, this weekend was our home competition for marching band. And I set up this whole plan that Alina helped execute to ask out my Luna. I gave her different gifts that spelled out 'I love you, be mine?' and she loved it. I got the clarinet section members to give her the gifts too. She was so excited. She didn't exactly say yes though? So now, she and I need to go on our first date before we are official."

"Nice, now get the fuck off," I pushed his arm away.

"Sorry, sorry. Just really overexcited." Andy was practically jumping in his seat. Fucking hyperactive puppy.

"I ended up hanging out with the charming puppy and his foxy lady at his house during their break. We had a lot of fun, did a lot of goofing off." Alina leaned back.

I nodded. I mean, congratulations to them but I didn't really care. I was surprised Alina was this sucked in by it. 

I opened up my phone, putting on my music. No one really lasts in high school relationships. My parents did, they were still happy and married, with three kids. High school is time to experiment, those who won't are the ones who cause heart break.

"So, Andy, when are you going on your first date?" Alina wouldn't drop it.

Oh my fucking God.

"I don't know, our schedules didn't meet up this week or next so we'll check again later. I hope it doesn't take too long." Andy slouched onto the table.

"It's okay," Alina reached over and pet his hair like she did at the diner the other day. 

Those two were like hyperactive spasses. They let their emotions play them too obviously. I locked that shit up. No one needed that shit. 

I listened back into my music. Why were these people like that? Displaying their emotions so publically. It just made them easier to manipulate. 

"I wish I had a job," Alina leaned back.

"Apply where we work," I responded.

"I really should, shouldn't I?" She sighed, leaning on the table.

"Sure, we could all work together," Andy smiled.

Good, I'd gotten them to stop talking about relationships.

"Just remember that my position is higher than both of yours so fight me." I laughed.

The two of them went back to giggling and chatting in their own remarks. I opened up Snapchat, flipping through everything that was sent to me. Does anyone really have luck with love? I never have.

Maybe one day I'll get a try.