My Perspective on the Happenings

I slowly get my ass out of bed. I don't like waking up. I never do. My brother is already awake, hurrying himself to get ready. Jordan must be excited. He's a sophomore this year. I get up, going to the bathroom first. I knock on my sister's door to make sure she's up too. 

"Go away, Matthew!" She yells.

She's a freshmen this year. So, naturally I have to drive all of them to school.

I continue into the bathroom. I take a quick leak. I stare at myself in the mirror as I wash my hands and brush my teeth. I can't see without my glasses so well, but I look fucking tired. I feel it as well. 

I go back to my room, putting on my glasses and checking my phone. It's 7:20 am. I'd better get going. 

I go over to my dresser, pulling out a pair of khakis and a gray shirt from my collection of gray shirts. There's a few blue ones from my clubs, one pink, and two red shirts from American Eagle but I keep it largely neutral. Gray is my thing. 

I quickly change. I don't like being out of clothes for very long. That makes me uncomfortable. I go out to the kitchen. My mom is up and awake. She doesn't have to be up for another ten minutes.

Jordan is in the kitchen. Leigh is not. 

"Let's go!" I yell to her.

"Let me finish my fucking makeup, Matthew!" She yells back.

That girl will get no where.

"Morning Matthew." My mother smiles at me. "Would you like some coffee? It' almost done brewing."

"Yeah, thanks." I set my binders on the table. My schedule is in the front, the way I like it. I stuff my headphones in my pocket. I'm going to need those. 

"Get off my..." Leigh storms out of her room. She stops her sentence when she sees our mother. "...case about getting ready. I'm a girl, I take longer."

"Then get up earlier." I say, grabbing my keys off the table. 

My mom hands me my stainless steel thermos. "Just the way you like it." She hugs me, which I return. It's an automatic response, it's not something I enjoy. People should stay away from me.

"Let's go, kids." I say, grabbing all my things.

"Have a good first day of school kids!" My mom calls after us.

I set my stuff in the backseat. My sister crawls in the back of my two door car. It's small, it's old but I love it. It can go fast and even though the speakers are somewhat very busted, it's got a great music system. 

Jordan sits in the front seat. I get it, starting it up. My car is mostly quiet for an old car. I head off to school. The drive is only fifteen minutes, if I go the speed limit. I don't. That's not how it works. I turn up Alfons, good beats for first thing in the morning. I go sixty along the back roads which are set at 40 to 45. I get to school in ten minutes.

I park in the back parking lot. It's hell to get out of but not as hellish as the front parking lot. I walk into school. I'm not sure where to go. I've got eight minutes of time to spare before I have to go to Government. I wonder where Andy would be.

I was popular back in elementary school. Everyone knows who I am in my grade. I've got the reputation and I've got the gossip although nowadays I'm really out of touch with everyone. I control my empire from the bottom. I enjoy watching the others fall.

I walk into the lobby. There's really no one I like. I spot an acquaintance of mine, Nick. I walk over, saying good morning. He says hello but talks with the other trouble makers he's friends with. I enjoy messing around with these guys. We make jokes about Nazis and other things that teenage boys do. It's good for a laugh. I stand there, drinking my coffee. It's warm and I like that.