Movement Eight: Tosto

My mouth was filled with salt. I laid back beneath the computer desk. The job was done. I grabbed the Mt. Dew beside me and took a sip. Better to wash the taste away with.

A knock rang out about the room. I pulled myself back into the shadows of the desk. Jacob set himself straight.

"Yeah?" He answered.

"Hey Jacob, I was wondering if you were letting Andy stay for dinner," said Jacob's mother. I quieted my breathing. "Where did he go?"

"To the bathroom or something, I think. I don't know, he might have left something in my car." 

"Is he staying?"

"I think so."

"You're doing a good thing, Jacob. You're giving him a safe place. Let him know he's welcome here anytime," his mother answered back.

"I will," Jacob sighed.

"All right," she closed his door.

"That was a close one," I whispered.

"You're telling me," Jacob moved his chair back. "Hand me that, will you?"

I handed him the can of whatever he was drinking. I crawled out from under the computer desk. I sat down on his bed, glad I could stretch myself out. 

"Looking forward to practice today?" I asked.

"Sure," Jacob shrugged.

Pay attention to me, damn it.

"Jacob-"

His phone vibrated. I grabbed it quickly before he could. 

"Oh, it's from Phil," I glare at the screen.

"Relax, he's just a friend. You're the only person I'm like this with," Jacob looked at me.

"I better be," I whispered.

Jacob stood up. He walked himself over to the bed and laid on top of me. 

"You are such the jealous girlfriend," Jacob kissed my cheek.

"I am not," I sighed.

"Got another one in you?" He whispered right in my ear.

"I guess," I smirked.

I'd forgotten what  I was even doing with Jacob. We landed here, I landed in his arms. He had a nice hold on me. I was constantly sent to that little place in my head, the voices in my mind screaming every protest. They were mean but they weren't in charge of my life. I was. Or was I? I'd begun to lose grip on reality, living among the voices in my head. I wasn't sure of what I wanted anymore. 

My phone vibrated on the table. I paid it no mind. I had a task at hand. Or...in my hand.