Chapter 18

(Akiko POV)

So apparently, since we all finished training we all had to go protect Tazuna. Well, all except Naruto. He worked to hard last night so we let him rest for the day.

I feel cow mans chakra nearby. I walk over to dad and whisper in his ear. "He's here."

He nods once and we continue until we see the bridge up ahead. There are unconscious workers spread out like sprinkles on top of a cake. I giggle out loud at the thought.

They all look at me in shock. "What?! I had a very funny thought?! Leave me alone!" I say crossing my arms across my chest.

"Just as crazy as before, huh kid?" I heard his voice through the mist.

"Hey cow man! Why did you try to drown me!" I yell, walking angrily through the mist.

"Akiko! What are you doing?!" Dad yelled, following after me. "Get into manji formation, now!" He yelled at pinkie and Sasuke.

I ignore him and continue walking towards cow mans chakra. I am now standing right in front of him. "Impressive kid. You managed to find me in this fog." He says.

I pout and punch him in the shoulder.  "Am I supposed to just forgive you?" I ask, feeling the tears about to fall.

He looks at me weirdly. "Uhh... Yes?" He asks hesitantly.

I sniffle and let the tears fall. "I thought you cared!!" I cry.

He looks annoyed now. "Do you ever stop!" He asks.

I stop crying and look at him angrily. "NO! I DON'T EVER STOP! WHY SHOULD I IF YOUR ALWAYS MEAN TO ME?!" I yell. I feel a hand on my shoulder and scream bloody murder. Zabuza smirks as he looks behind me.

"Akiko!!" I hear everyone call my name through the mist. I look behind me shakily. I see a boy with long black hair wearing a kimono and a mask.

"We meet again, Akiko." A familiar voice says through the mask. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"Kahu?" I ask. Zabuza starts laughing at me.

"My name is Haku." He says.

I slowly reach up my hand and take his mask off. I look deep into his brown eyes. His feminine features remind me of when I first met him. "Haku." I say quietly.

"I see you remember me."  He replies.

"Of course!" I say a little taken aback. "How could I forget?!"

He smiles softly at my reply. His smile disappears and quickly put his mask back on. He looks back up and looks right at Zabuza behind me. I turn my head to look at him and see him nod once.

I turn and look back up at Haku and realize how short I really am. Wow. He looks down at me. "I'm sorry." He says. I was about to ask what he meant but I was surrounded with the darkness of unconsciousness.

I open my eyes slowly and see Zabuza fighting dad and Naruto and Sasuke in a dome of mirrors and pinkie shaking in front of Tazuna. I get up groggily and rub my eyes. I see Haku about to kill Sasuke and Naruto in the dome.

A horror striken expression is on my face as Sasuke gets in front of a passed out Naruto. In the flash of an eye, I am standing between the boys and the senbon. I yelp in pain as it makes contact with my body. Sasuke and the now awake Naruto whip their heads to look at me.

"Aki-Chan! Why did you do that!" He asks frantically.

I give him a pained smile. "Because...  you guys... are my... friends. I couldn't... let anything... bad happen... to you." I say weakly.

Sasuke looks so horrified seeing me. "No..." He says quietly.

"Am I... really that... ugly that... you can't even... look at me... peacefully...?" I ask trying to cheer him up a bit.

I start to feel dizzy and fall backwards but someone caught me. I look up to see Haku holding me. "Why?" He asks in a strained whisper.

"Its not... your fault... Haku..." I say weakly. I close my eyes again and reopen them to see that I am outside of my body.  I see Sasuke frozen to place and see Naruto clenching his fists.

I look over to see Haku carrying my limp body into one of the mirrors. "Give Aki-Chan back!!" Naruto yelled.

My dad whipped his head around to look what Naruto was talking about. A look of horror was plastered on his face. "NO! AKIKO!" My dad called after me but Zabuza got in his way.

"To bad she is dead. She had great potential." Zabuza taunted.

"NO!" Dad yelled in anger, sorrow, and horror. He went and attacked Zabuza.

I look over at pinkie to see a look of horror on her face. I look behind her and see Tazuna letting silent tears leave his eyes to show sorrow.

I feel so bad. I didn't want to cause so much pain for people. I thought that they didn't want, that I was only a burden to them all. I just want them to be happy.

I realize that Inukimi hasn't been here this whole time. What is she doing that is more important than keeping the deal she made with me? Ugh, why do people always leave me?

I look back over at the mirrors to see Naruto punch Haku out of the mirror, while throwing me into the air as he lost grip. Sasuke jumped into the air and caught me bringing me down with him.

"Come on, come on, come on. Wake up Akiko. Please wake up. Come on, Akiko." He muttered patting my cheek. I bring my hand to my cheek as I feel a hand slapping my face. I feel as if I am being sucked into a vacuum cleaner. I close my eyes tightly waiting out the weird expirence.

I open my eyes once more to see Sasuke leaning over me.  "S-Sasuke?"  Ask weakly.

"Oh my god." He breathes out. "Your alive."

"Did you ever... doubt me?" I ask jokingly.

"N-no." He stutters.

"Its okay. I doubt me... too sometimes."  I say smiling up at him.

He hugs me tightly and cries into my shoulder. "I thought I lost you forever." He whispers into my hair.

"Dude, calm down. You can't get rid of me that easily." I joke trying to lighten the mood.

"Don't ever do that again." He says.

"You know, you never know when I will die." I say.

He pulls away and narrows his eyes at me. "Promise me you won't die." He demands.

"Okay okay, whatever helps you sleep at night. I promise."

He smiles accomplished. I look behind me to see dad about to pierce through Haku with a ball of lightening. I stare in horror and in a flash I am in front of Haku, and jump up because I'm too short, and get struck in the chest by the lightening.

A look of horror flashes into my dads eyes as I cough up blood onto his arm that is sticking through my chest. "A-Aki-ko..." He stutters out in pure horror.

"D-dad... don't h-hurt... them... they're m-my f-friends." I say weakly.

"Akiko, why?" I look over my shoulder to see the same look of horror on Haku's face.

"B-because... I d-dont want... t-to see... y-you hurt... Y-your my... f-friends... Y-you to... Z-Zabuza..." I say suddenly feeling very tired. I see the shocked look on Zabuzas face and smile slightly at his reaction.

I look back over at dad. I smile sadly at him. "I l-love you..." I say as I let the darkness consume me.

____________________________________________________________________________

1305 words