Chapter 34

I lazily stretched out in my comfy bed and wrapped myself in the covers. It was Saturday and I was planning on staying in bed until it was time go meet up with Gabe.

"Jacqueline, come downstairs. Breakfast is ready." My mother called from the kitchen, the pleasant smell of pancakes and bacon filling my nostrils.

I stretched one more time and jumped out of bed in my pink, silk pajamas. I walked quickly down the stairs and saw my entire family sitting at the table already eating. "Morning." My dad gave me a small smile as he looked from his newspaper. "Morning, dad." I smiled back.

For a second, it felt just like the good days, before the wicked doll came into my life.

Adam didn't bother looking at me. He just sipped on his orange juice and continued eating. He was already dressed in dark jeans and a plain red T-shirt.

Grace didn't look at me either. She was wearing some matching pajamas that had ponys on them. Her hair was hanging in a loose braid and she ate in silence.

I grabbed some pancakes off of a large platter and began eating as well. "How did everyone sleep?" My mom asked before taking a bite of her pancake.

"Alright." I shrugged and took a sip of some water. "Fine." My brother answered, not looking up. Grace didn't speak.

"What happened to your eye?" My dad asked as he glanced over at Adam. My brother quickly looked towards me, making eye contact real quick and then he looked away. "Nothing." He replied.

"Did you get in a fight?" My mom raised an eyebrow.

"...No." He pauses. "I just got hurt yesterday at practice."

I wasn't expecting him to say that.

"Oh." Dad gives him a wierd look but then finishes eating. I could feel the tension among us. Like there was an elephant in the room. It was just awkward.

I shoved a last piece of bacon into my mouth and stood up. "Thanks for breakfast." I say and walk over to the sink, dropping off my empty plate.

"I'm full too." Grace announces and yawns. I go back up to my room as my dad helps Grace walk up the stairs.

I go to my closet and pick out a simple, strapless, white lace dress with a sweetheart neckline. I applied my usual makeup and curled the ends of my long hair. I looked at the clock by my bedside and saw that it was almost

time to leave.

That went by fast.

I was looking forward to hanging out with Gabriel today. I rememberd our kiss yesterday and how surprised, yet relieved I felt. I was always attracted to him, it's just, he was so rude to me before and that was a turn-off. Now that he has opened up a little, I'm excited to know more about his past and just more about him in general.

I examined myself one last time in the mirror and then threw on a cropped jean jacket.

I remember my dad taking my sister upstairs so I walked over to her room to inform my dad I was leaving.

"Hey, dad I'm going to -" I stopped at the door. I felt the blood drain from my face as I looked at the horrific sight in front of me.

The entire room was dark. The small, coloring table that was by Grace's bed was toppled over. Paintings and crayons were scattered everywhere.

The only light in the room was coming from the open window.

Grace was looking life-less as she weakly stood at edge of the window sill with her eyes closed. Her arms were lying still beside her and she was still wearing her pajamas.