Chapter 6

"It's Ms. Laurel Fitzpatrick." My dad quietly says. "She was murdered." I gasped at the horrific news. Adam's face turned slightly pale. "How? Why? What happened?" I began asking, I wanted to know everything immediately.

"We're not exactly sure." My dad sadly sighed. "According to police they recieved an anoymous phone call telling them to go to Ms. Laurel's house and check on her." I turned to my mother, who started crying even more.

"When there was no answer at her door, they grew worried and barged in. Next thing they know, they find her dead on the floor." My dad's voice was shaking. He was just as distraught as we were but I knew he wanted to be strong for my mom and us. "That's horrible." Adam commented.

"They found her body with slashes and scratches everywhere." My mother choked out and rubbed her watery eyes. "Who would do something to such a nice woman." She added in as she looked towards my father. "I don't know, Erica. There are some sick people in this world." He replied.

"So it was a robbery?" Adam asked. Clearly just as confused as I was about all this. "That's what we thought too, but according to the police, nothing was stolen, moved around, or broken." "That's odd, so apparently they just came in and brutally killed an old, innocent woman." I said with a disqusted look on my face. How cruel.

"Thats what investigators are thinking." My mom replied. "It was strange though..." My dad glanced at my mom. "They said they found smoke coming out of the heads of three dolls in the same room Laurel's body was found." He said as he looked back to Adam and I.

I could have sworn I felt my heart fall when my dad finished his last sentence. "Are you talking about the...porcelain d-dolls?" I asked. I could feel the goosbumps on my arms rising. "Yeah, strange right? Maybe there was a defect or something caught fire. I'm not sure." Dad stood up from the couch and looked out the front window towards Laurel's house.

"We wanted you two to know about this because we need y'all to stay safe and be careful. There could be a murderer on the loose." My mom says as she drys her eyes with a tissue. "We don't want Grace to be scared so we thought it would be better for her to not know." She continues.

"Where is Grace?" Adam asked. "At her little friend's house. The Johnsons agreed to keep her for a couple of hours unil everything here was settled." My mother replied and stood up from the couch as well.

This whole situation scared me to say the least. I couldn't help the fear that was growing inside me. However, I needed to know more. I looked over to my parents who were grabbing fruits from the fridge, probably getting ready to make dinner. I swayed myself towards Adam in the living room. "Psst!" I nudged him. "What?" He looked down at me, his arms were crossed. "Come with me across the street."

He gave me a confused look as he raised an eyebrow. "No! Are you crazy." We both looked towards the kitchen, making sure our parents didn't hear us.

"Please! I need to figure this out." I pleaded with him. "What's there to figure out? Laurel was murdered and some dolls got burnt." He harshly whispered. "Ugh! Fine. I'll go alone." I stepped away from him and walked towards the door. I made my way across the sidewalk and saw the police cars still parked. I hear the door close behind me. "I'm coming Jay." Adam calls out.

He catches up and walks beside me. "I thought you weren't coming?" I glare at him. "I can't let you go alone." He replies.

We go up to the first policeman that we see. "Can I help you?" He asks us as he leans against the police car. He has brown hair and brown eyes. "We live across the street." Adam responded, he is a little bit taller than the officer.

"Is there any information you can tell us? Laurel was a friend of the family." I ask the man. The wind started blowing and my hair flew in my face. Just then we see the ambulance team bring out a body. Adam and I both looked at each other, well aware of who it was. The wind blew harshly again making the cover on top of the body fly off.

Lying on the medical bed, was Laurel Fitzpatrick with deep slashes all over her body. She had deep, bloody cuts in her eye sockets. Her throat was slit open, revealing the soon to be rotting flesh. I noticed scratches all along her arms and cheeks. Laurel's lifeless eyes were still wide open. I started shaking and Adam pulled me away from the sight while the medical team brought a new cover over the body.

"Oh my gosh." Was all I could say. I covered my mouth in shock and Adam just stood there, staring at the covered figure. The police man gives us an uneasy look and rubs his face. I look to the left and see three other policemen coming out of the house with boxes in their hands.

"What's that?" I simply ask. I look from the boxes to the officer. "Some toys that were found at the crime scene." He scratches the back of his neck.

"...The dolls?" I ask. Afraid of the answer i'm going to recieve. "Yes, there was smoke coming out from the heads." He sighs. "There will be a further investigation. We will surely catch the criminal who did this." He assures me and gives Adam and I a small smile.

"Stay safe." He adds and hops in his police car. The other officers and medical staff do the same in their respective vehicles and drive off, leaving Adam and I standing there by the house.

"This is too much." I say to Adam. He pulls me in for a brotherly hug. "It's okay, sis. The cops are going to catch the murderer. Don't worry." He says in my ear.

I hope so.