Chapter 20

"Jay, wake up!" My brother says as he yawns, instantly waking me. "Five more minutes." I groan. After last night I want to spend the whole day catching up on sleep. I sit up from my comfy sheets and look at a tired Adam.

"Woah." His eyes go wide once I sit up. "What?" I say as I rub my own eyes. "Your nose, it's uh." He runs a hand through his messy hair. "It's what Adam?" I ask, growing aggravated.

"Go look in your mirror." He sighs.

I give him a confused look and jump out of bed, I immediately feel sore and my head throbs from the sudden movement. Adam stays sitting down on my bed and nervously looks at me. What in the heck is so bad?

I make my way to my bathroom and gasp whenever I see my reflection.

My entire nose is bruised a dark purple color and is swollen three times it's usual size. The area under my eyes is an irritated red color followed with dark circles. I have a couple of small scratches along my lower cheek and jawline.

I roll up my pajama sleeves to wash my hands and notice I have deep, bloody red, scratches on both of the insides of my wrists. What the hell? "Oh my God." I whisper to myself in shock.

I knew it was a crazy fight with the creature but I didn't realize how bad the damage was. "Oh God, Jay." Adam says as he walks into the bathroom. "What on Earth?" He adds as he looks at my wrists. "Results from last night with the doll." I sighed.

He raises an eyebrow at me. "You need to go to the hospital right now." He says in a serious tone. "No, I need to show up to the student council meeting and plus I have alot of homework and projects that I will have to do." I argue, he was making a big deal out of this.

"Your nose could be broken. You need to go Jacqueline!" Wow, he actually said my whole name, he must be getting pretty pissed. "I'll go after school." I tried to comrpomise.

"No, I'll handle your school stuff. Your going to the hospital." He was getting even more angry. "Alright, fine!" I yelled back, yanking my scratched up wrist away from him. "Good." He simply replied, leaving the bathroom.

Foolish Adam.

As soon as he left, I pulled out my makeup and started covering up my bruises and scratches with concealer. My nose felt like it was hit by a truck and I felt a sharp, stinging pain each time I dabbed makeup over it.

With a little patience and and a lot more concealer, you could hardly tell I had bruises. Feeling accomplished I walked out of my bathroom and into my closet. "Jay, can I use this?" Grace walks into my closet, holding up one of my pink headbands.

"Yeah." I simply respond and go through my blouses. We haven't spoken since yesterday when she denied that the doll could walk and breath. I regret yelling at her the way I did, but I don't understand why she would just openly tell me she has seen the doll breathing as well and then deny it.

"Thank you." She starts to walk out out of my closet. "Wait!" I say and she looks back to me. "I'm sorry for yelling at you. I didn't mean any of it." I gave her a small smile, there is no use in me arguing and being mad at a six year old.

"It's okay." She walks over and gives me a cute, little hug. "Love you, sissy." She adds and heads back out of the room. "Love you too." I say back and continue through my clothes.

I picked out a pastel pink blouse and cream colored floral capris. I slipped on gold flats and fixed my hair in long, loose curls. I looked at my bruised arms and cut up wrists, it looked really bad so I put on a loose, long sleeve, white cardigan. I was ready to go, all I needed to do was wait for everyone to leave.

Especially Adam.

"Hey sis, I told mom and dad you weren't feeling good so you were going to go see a doctor." He called from the hallway. "Alright." I answered. "I'll have everything under control at school." He assured me as he entered my room. "Thanks, bro." I smiled, eagerly waiting for him to leave.

"No prob, call me when you get done with the checkup." He waved goodbye and left down the stairs.

I waited in my room until I heard everyone leave. I looked out my large windows and saw Adam's vehicle exit out of the driveway. Finally!

I slowly made my way downstairs, my whole body was aching but I just shrugged it off. I have felt worse than this at soccer practice. I grabbed my car keys, a muffin and left for school.

----

I arrived at school and saw the time, the meeting was still going on. I ignored the aching pain from my legs and headed into the student council room.

I hurridly swung open the door and everyones eyes were on me and the room fell silent. Adam was sitting at the head of the table, his eyes wide.

"Jacqueline! You made it!" Tiffany giggled, breaking the silence. "Are you feeling better?" Mckayla asked as she stood up from her seat by Tiffany. "Yeah. I feel fine." I replied, looking directly at my brother.

I also noticed Gabe was sitting at the table across from Mckayla, his ice blue eyes on me. What? Gabriel actually showed up to a meeting? I looked away and sat next to Adam. Everyone began talking like nothing had happened.

"Why in the hell are you here?" Adam harshly whispered to me. Geez.

"Because it's a public school." I made a lame joke. "Very funny." He crossed his arms. "Geez, Adam. I'll go to the doctor later, chill." I rolled my eyes. "What happened to your nose?" Tiffany asked me, examining my swollen nose.

Gabe and Mckayla looked over to us, interested in our conversation. "It's nothing. I just fell, that's all." I lied. "Ouch." Tiff replied. "You fell directly on your face?" Mckayla raised an eyebrow. Gabe just sat there.

"Yeah." I said on the defense. Of course she would ask all the questions. "What did you fall on?" She added. "The floor." I sarcastically replied.

"Obviously." She said and moved her black hair to the side. "I fell on the road." I lied once again. Adam just glared at me. "Is that how you got those scratches as well?" She pointed to my cheek.

What's up with all the dang questions?

"Yes!" I almost shouted, I feel like everyday I just keep growing more and more irritated and a little less patient. Mckayla doesn't say anything more and Tiffany looks away. "Alright, I think this meeting is over. Thanks for coming everyone." Adam looks out to the other members and stands up.

I groan and put my head down on the table while people leave. I can hear Adam talking to Tiffany out in the hallway. I am the only one in the room."Hey." I hear a voice say.

Or so I thought I was.

I pick my head up, moving away some blonde hair from my face. "Hi." I look up to Gabriel. He is wearing a grey v-neck and black jeans. His black hair is messy as usual.

"You didn't really fall, did you?" He calmly asks.

"Yeah, I fell straight on my face and I-" I started up with the lie again.

"No you didn't." He interrupts.

"Yes I did." I argued. "Stop with the lies." He says and leans against the wall.

I looked at him, wide eyed.

"It was the doll wasn't it." He simply says.

Oh crap.