Part 33

Diana goes to use the bathroom first, and I strip and change into a fresh pair of pj shorts and vest top. All my senses are heightened in the pleasure of being with her alone in the house, of knowing that we will be sharing a bed for the first time. I've been aroused all evening by the way she's been kissing me, by her touches, by the easy closeness we have now, and at the back of my mind by the knowledge that we've been slowly getting to this point. I turn on the bedside lamp and flick off the main light, then take my make-up off hurriedly (I never wear much for work anyway), and am just taking my earrings out as she comes in. She stands rather awkwardly next to the bed. I drop the earrings into the little casket on my dressing table and stand to face her. Leaning up and slightly into her, so she can feel my breasts through my thin top just brush her blouse, I kiss her quickly. My nipples are solid and the slight rub of material over them thrills me deeply. 'I won't be long. Climb in when you're ready.' I point at the bed behind her.

When I return from the bathroom, she is changed into her pyjamas, but is sitting cross-legged on the edge of the bed. I flick the landing light off and close the door, raising an eyebrow at her. 'Bed not comfy enough?'

She smiles through her obvious slight awkwardness. 'I didn't know which side you prefer. Some people are very fussy about that.'

'You're so sweet.' I go up to her and lean down, so our faces are close, resting my hands on her shoulders lightly. She reaches up automatically to hold my hair back from our faces. For a moment or two, I glance down the loose jacket of her pyjamas and enjoy the sight of her cleavage, the curve of her breasts under the material, the shape of her legs in the trousers. I am incredibly turned on (in fact, I'm not sure I don't lick my lips), and it is even better that she catches me looking. And then she runs her own eyes down me, especially over the shape of my breasts and the clear bumps of my nipples in my top. I start to say something else, but my throat is too dry, so I kiss her instead. We both taste of toothpaste and freshness, but with still a hint of the wine and food, and I even find that slightly sexy.

After the kiss, I try talking again. 'I don't mind which side I go on.' I take a deep breath and, given the context and the person I'm talking to, make one of the boldest invitations of my life. 'But bottom's always good for me.'

Diana closes her eyes briefly. 'Oh, fuck,' she sighs.

'Mmm, maybe.' I smile at her until she smiles quickly too, while I move a hand and stroke her cheek with the back of a finger. 'Shall we see what happens?'

'Oh, Fiona...' she mutters, still sounding uncomfortable. But she lets me move her so I can raise the duvet, and then I slide myself over to the far side to give her room to join me. She hesitates for another moment, gazing at me, then climbs slowly into bed with me. Our hands meet on the duvet and we settle it over our bodies together.

I can tell she is both aroused and nervous, and I'm deeply touched. I link my fingers through hers and turn onto my side, leaning my head on my other hand to look at her where she's lying on her back. Under the duvet, I slide a leg over hers and am pleased when she lets me keep it there. I like the feel of the silk of her pyjamas on my bare skin, and the warmth of her leg under it. I shift slightly to move closer to her, so our bodies are just touching in places. I deliberately don't make a move on her, as I feel that just at that moment, it could be a catastrophically bad idea to push things too far.

She turns her head and looks at me, lips pursed for a second or two, then she suddenly grins and snorts in a quick, harsh burst of laughter. More a release of tension, perhaps. 'God, Fiona. Look at me. I'm behaving like some virginal schoolgirl.' She takes a deep breath. 'I'm so sorry.'

'It's fine.' I kiss her hand where it's still holding mine. 'I'm guessing you're not normally like this with your lovers. I love it that you feel differently about me.'