Part 19

Petra really enjoys the Smutty Duck. She likes to dance, and there's plenty of good music on, so I'm constantly losing her to the crowd on the floor. But it's OK, because I bump into Catherine and we have a long talk. Catherine is supposedly there with some other girl too, but I get us a drink and we sit together in a corner, a bit too close, and flirt gently. Petra and Catherine's friend drift up and away again now and then. Under the table, I like the feel of Catherine's leg firm and warm against mine through my tights, and the way our bodies seem to fit comfortably together on the cramped seating. Eventually Petra and the other girl end up sitting across from us and talking to each other, before going for a dance together. I think that Catherine and I might kiss at one point, but we don't, although she does let her hand rest on her knee against my leg and strokes her finger up and down a little near the hem of my miniskirt.

She puts her hand in the small of my back as we kiss on the cheek on the way out. Very briefly, she brushes the back of my skirt, and I remember how sensitive and tender her touch was on my body as we made love, and I suddenly wish we could have something together. 'Have a good Christmas and stuff,' she says softly. She's already told me she'll be working most of the unsocial shifts over the holiday period.

'You too. Don't work too hard.' I lean up quickly and kiss her cheek again. 'See you soon?' She nods and waves as she and her friend move off. Petra slips her arm through mine and we start to make our way to where we can get a taxi.

'She seems nice,' Petra comments carefully. 'How long were you together?' I look at her sharply and she grins. 'C'mon, Fi. Don't be silly. The way you were touching casually, looked so comfortable together, it was obvious you'd had something.' She pauses and nudges me gently. 'She still likes you.'

I feel a little flutter of pleasure. 'You reckon?' She nods, and I sigh. 'I don't think it'll happen, though. We had one night together...well, an afternoon, the night and the following morning, that's all. She doesn't want anything long-term.'

Petra strokes my arm. 'Poor Fi. You don't have much luck with women, do you?'

I look at her. As far as I can tell, she means it. I know our relationship is casual and basically a friendship with perks, but I am fond of her. Under her sassy exterior, she's quite a sensitive person, really. 'I'm lucky to have you.'

She looks a bit uncomfortable for a bit and tells me not to be silly.

She's already arranged to stay at mine that night, and we do try to have sex when we get back, but I don't think either of us gets much out of it. She's a bit distracted and clumsy, and I keep wondering what exactly Petra and I do have, and what she thinks we have. I wonder why she felt uncomfortable at our conversation earlier, but didn't mind me and Catherine flirting so obviously in the club. I also really struggle not to think about Catherine, and can't help wishing it was her making love to me instead. After a while, Petra just stops trying to pleasure me, as even she can tell it's not going anywhere, and we cuddle each other to sleep instead.

***

As you would expect, there is a Christmas party at work, and – as you'd expect – it's a pretty awkward affair. Like in the Summer, there's plenty of drink and gossip. I let the wine go to my head again.

Sexy Paul and Dippy Alice are having a full-blown affair now, although neither has left their partner yet. They don't stay long, and leave together. Petra and Diana carefully ignore each other most of the time, and I think only I notice that they both disappear a couple of times and come back separately, looking a bit flushed. Petra's lost her tights again somewhere along the way, and I imagine they're under the sofa in Diana's office or something.

At one point, Diana and I find ourselves thrown together at the buffet table, with no escape. 'Ah, Fiona.'

'Diana.' There's a slightly awkward pause. I point at her plate. 'That cake looks nice.'