Part 31

In the morning, I find her sitting in an armchair near the window, reading a dull-looking law textbook. She's in a soft and expensive-looking pair of pale yellow silk pyjamas. There's a nice smell of fresh coffee from the machine in the kitchen. She looks up and I can see a flash of something – maybe nervousness – in her eyes behind her reading glasses, but I smile at her. I also notice she can't help flick her eyes down my vest top and pyjama shorts, no matter how nervous she is. I walk over to her unhurriedly and lean in, resting a hand on her arm. Her eyes flick down again, to take in the shape of my breasts in my top - and I don't think it hurts at all that waking up in Diana's (very comfortable) spare bed has made me slightly horny just in itself, so the bumps of my nipples are also quite plain through the material.

I like the smell of her, that natural smell before she's got ready for the day. Her lips are apart, despite what her eyes are saying, and she tilts her head automatically as I lean in to kiss her. It's only a quick kiss, but her lips are wet and soft and betray her desire so I kiss her again straight afterwards, for longer. Neither of us lets it go anywhere, but it's a nice kiss.

The feel of her glasses on my cheek as we kiss is surprisingly nice. I think, randomly, that her “studious lawyer in pyjamas” look is quite sexy. She brushes some hair back from my cheek, where it's fallen across our faces. 'Good morning, Fiona.'

'Morning. That bed's lovely.' I trail my hand down her arm, then start to walk back towards the kitchen. I wonder if she remembers how it felt as I came against her leg last night, and if she liked it as much as me.

'You slept well, then?' I can feel her watching me. I hope that she's not just watching me but really looking at my body, seeing it in my tight shorts and flimsy top, that she's desiring me, testing her self-control. I lick my lips and enjoy the lingering taste of her kiss. She clears her throat. 'There's some tea in that cupboard, on the right. Or help yourself to coffee. Or fruit juice. Whatever takes your fancy.'

The coffee smells good, but there seems to be plenty of it in the machine so I decide to have one later. I make tea and go to sit on her sofa, tucking my legs up on the seat. I nod at her book. 'Do you always work first thing on a Sunday? How long have you been up anyway?' The clock in the kitchen has said it was quarter to nine.

She grins and closes the book, marking her place with a finger. 'Only about half an hour. And no, I try not to work on my own time too much, but it happens sometimes. In this case, something occurred to me yesterday about a case we're preparing at the moment. I thought I'd take advantage of a quiet moment to look it up.'

I grin back at her. 'Before I came barging in to distract you?' I slip a hairband off my wrist and gather my hair together and fix it into a ponytail.

She watches me. 'Absolutely.' She opens the book again and pushes her glasses back up her nose, but not before openly letting her gaze wander over me. 'And a very lovely distraction you are, Fiona. If you don't mind, though, I will just finish now I've started.' She flicks forward a few pages and clicks her tongue. 'I'll be about twenty minutes, no more. Do you mind?'

I shrug. 'Whatever.' I quite like the way that she feels awkward about bringing work into our relationship, but can't help herself. I don't mind, because if it weren't for work, we wouldn't have met.

She looks relieved. 'Thank you. I won't make a habit of it.'

I get up and cross the room to her chair. She lets me kiss her quickly, then I kneel down next to her legs and rest my hand on her knee. 'It's fine, Diana. If we're going to start sharing more of our lives, this is going to happen.' I bump my hip against her leg and like the way she pushes back. 'It's going to be part of it, like I might have to do the same at some point, for my accountancy exams or something.' I shift to rest my cheek on her am and kiss her hand. I wonder if it's so nice to kiss her hand because it feels so nice whenever I hold it too. 'And it's only like when you come down on a Friday at work and sit there quietly until I've finished.' I can't stop myself getting turned on by the feel of her body warm through the thin material of her pyjamas. I was going to offer to make breakfast while she read, but my pulse is beginning to quicken at the thought of distracting her from her work in a way she maybe wasn't expecting.