Quotes: 61 "A Nymph's Reply"

If all the world was in love and young,
The truth would be on every shepherd's tongue,
How pretty we my pleasures that move me move
To live with thee ever thy love.

Time drives those flocks from the field silently they come here to unfold
When the rivers rage and rocks grow cold,
So the swallows are allowed to all be dumb;
The rest is my complaint from thy cares are none.

Each flower will fade in those wheat of corn fields ,
For the northern winter comes and reckoning will give us its yield.
The taste of honey will be on my tongue, but my heart is filled with all this gall,
And fancy's spring cometh our way, my sorrow's will be here with all I fall.

Thy gowns, thy shoes, thy beds of rosebuds,
Thy cap, thy kirtle, and thy posies
Soon break, soon wither, soon you will be forgotten—
In folly ripe, in reason we all wilt rotten.

Thy belts of straw and the ivy will bud,
Thy coral clasps as the amber of studs.
All things are inside me, wilt no means to move freely,
Come here my dear, and bring forth your life giving your heart back to me.

Only if's was our youths could last through our life where our love can still breed,
What joys we will make with not a date, nor that this love will age with no need.
And the most wonderful delight, will stay safely inside of me,
Wilt the glow of nightfall's lies throughout my desires always to last leaving hoping too soon be.
By,
MaryEllenCampbell
MEC:©️2018

A revision of a poem that was written in 1599
By,
Sir Walter Raleigh
"The Nymphs Reply To The Shepherds"

The meaning:

This poem is a response of the"The Passionate Shepherd to His Love," written in 1599. In this poem, the shepherd asks the woman that he loves to run away with him and live the simple life outdoors, where he will make her clothes from flowers and shells and the wool of their sheep, and life will be a celebration of their youthful love. In her response, Raleigh has the nymph list reasons why the ideal life that the shepherd describes is unlikely to happen. The shepherd emphasizes his love, as if love alone can conquer any problems, and he lists the things that he is willing to do for her as well as the splendors of the simple country life.

The nymph, on the other hand, looks at the darker side of human nature. In the second line, she brings up the idea that shepherds do, in fact, lie sometimes, implying that she would be foolish to believe everything that he claims. Throughout the rest of the poem, she explains reasons why, whether he is sincere or not, she has to be skeptical that their life together would be as the shepherd describes it. Her main point is that the shepherd's plans do not account for the changes that are inevitable over time, and so the future that he foresees will almost certainly not come to pass. Her skepticism is based on the fact that she understands his hopeful vision, but that she also sees that he does not understand the world well enough to make an accurate prediction.

An element that is important to understanding the nymph's reluctance, but that is never explicitly stated in the poem, is the value she places on her chastity. Her main argument is that the young lovers will probably, over time, lose interest in one an- other as youthful beauty fades and eventually part. To readers who assume that the two could then go on with their lives separately, this might seem unimportant. This view, however, does not take into account how much would have changed in the nymph's life by the sheer fact of having lived with the shepherd. To a young lady of the sixteenth century, the importance of retaining her chastity and the circumstances under which she would give it up could not be overstated. There would be no going back to the person she was before once she decided to live with the shepherd. To the strong Christian sensibilities of Elizabethan England, living and sleeping with the shepherd would constitute a serious sin.

What are your thoughts?