Quotes:10 "Our Monarchy"

"If it is your passion that drives you, then you best hold on to your reins."

By,
Benjamin Franklin
🇺🇸The 6th President Of the United States 🇺🇸

What do you think this means?

This quote means that while you let your passion fuel you, you still need to temper it with reasoning when necessary... it has always been important to be passionate about one's goals in life, but we needn't only to be driven by the passion that we have for that life of what we may not be able too obtain. We can not always see the road with it's bumps and broken axles, things that we need help to change or those other things that can negatively affect us getting to our place that we want to go....... if something is not willingly working, don't keep on forcing it and pushing your way forward, for there maybe another way of how you should try to approach it...

History of the philosophy club.

The Philosophical Society, as it was originally called, was founded in 1743 by Benjamin Franklin, James Alexander, Francis Hopkinson, John Bartram, Philip Syng, Jr. and others as an offshoot of an earlier club, the Junto. It was founded two years after the University of Pennsylvania, society club closed. And with this said, it still remained closely tied with each other.

Library Hall (2013)
Since its inception, the society attracted America's finest minds. Early members included George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson,Alexander Hamilton, James McHenry, Thomas Paine, David Rittenhouse, Nicholas Biddle, Owen Biddle, Benjamin Rush, James Madison, Michael Hillegas, John Marshall, and John Andrews. The society also recruited members from other countries, including Alexander von Humboldt, the Marquis de Lafayette, Baron von Steuben, Tadeusz Kościuszko, and Princess Dashkova.

By 1746 the society had lapsed into inactivity, however, it was revived, and on January 2, 1769, and united with the American Society for Promoting Useful Knowledge under the name American Philosophical Society Held at Philadelphia for Promoting Useful Knowledge. Benjamin Franklin was elected the first president. During this time, the society maintained a standing Committee on American Improvements; one of its investigations was to study the prospects of a canal to connect the Chesapeake Bay and the Delaware River.The canal, which had been proposed by Thomas Gilpin, Sr., would not become reality until the 1820s.

After the American Revolution, the society looked for leadership to Francis Hopkinson, one of the signatories of the Declaration of Independence. Under his influence, the society received land from the government of Pennsylvania, along with a plot of land in Philadelphia where Philosophical Hall now stands.

Illustrious names have continually been added to the membership roster, reflecting the society's scope. Charles Darwin, Robert Frost, Louis Pasteur, Elizabeth Cabot Agassiz, John James Audubon, Linus Pauling, Margaret Mead, Maria Mitchell, and Thomas Edison became members of the society. The society continues to attract names of high renown today, with a current membership list (as of the April 2005 elections) of 920 members, including 772 resident members (citizens or residents of the United States) and 148 foreign members representing more than two dozen countries. Interesting yes?

As Ever
Marly Jeffreys
MJ ©️:2018