Dance Your Hearts Out (A Nathan Sykes FanFiction) 17

He turned on his heel, shoved his hands in his pocket and walked off. I knew something like this would happen. His words held no emotion, yet I knew that his eyes were screaming everything: hate, heartbreak, doubt, fear, pain, and even anger. I felt my own heart aching, slowly breaking with the realization that I had just let the best thing in my life slip through my fingers. Nathan had been in the wrong place at the wrong time. I fully blamed myself for what just happened.

“Tori, I-I'm so sorry,” Niall stammered. “I'll talk to him, make things right, whatever it takes,” he said quickly, starting to panic.

“No,” I stated as he attempted to make his way to the door.

“It'll only make things worse if you talk to him now...he needs time to think and space,” I sighed, feeling tears fall onto my cheeks and dress.

Besides that, everything else went according to plan. Niall and I stood on that stage, his arm around my waist from behind with that spotlight on us and heard our results. We had made it into the next round. The crowd erupted in cheers as the other dancers congratulated us. The only thing I could do is smile and clap for myself and Niall. We were hugged by the other contestants, but I didn't feel Ty hug me. He gripped my shoulder and gave me a warm smile. He had seen me on the brink of tears backstage before Niall and I went on and he knew something was really wrong.

We exited the stage and just sat with the other dancers until the show was over. I couldn't face Nathan, not right now, I was scared and just wanted to curl up in a corner and cry out everything. I called Tom who answered glumly after the show was over.

“He told me what happened,” he said slowly over the phone.

“It's a misunderstanding, Tom...you have to believe me,” I pleaded, with a shuddered sigh.

“I do believe you, Lovely... look, I've seen him like this before...he'll drink some tea and will be up half the night, but by morning he'll be ready to listen to anything you have to say,” he sighed.

“I shouldn't be around then, should I?” I asked, pulling my knees to my chest as the hair and make-up woman took out all the bobby pins and ties in my complicated hair style.

“You think Ty wouldn't mind if you stayed a night?” he suggested.

“That's what I was thinking...can Kelsey pick me up tomorrow morning?” I asked.

“Sure, I'll give her a ring later...you'll get through this, Lovely, I know you will,” he said before wishing me a goodnight and hanging up.

I sighed as I changed back into my street clothes. Ty was waiting outside my dressing room with my stuff. I had explained to him after the show what had happened. I hadn't even seen Niall after the final bow. Ty gave me a long tight hug before guiding me to his car. He even asked if I wanted to spend the night as his place, which I calmly agreed to.

“Here, it's your favorite,” he said, handing me a warm mug of hot chocolate.

“With extra marshmallows and cinnamon?” I asked, it being my exact favorite. “How did you remember?”.

“It's all you wanted after you broke up with your first ever boyfriend, how could I forget,” he shrugged, sitting next to me.

He had let me borrow an old shirt and sweatpants for the night. I had curled up on the couch, drinking quietly.

“Do you want to talk about it?” he asked timidly, rubbing my knee comfortingly.

“I'm not even sure this is fixable,” I sighed, holding the mug close to me.

“It is, trust me,” he said, pulling me into a side-long hug.

“Kissing Niall was a mistake on my part and Nathan seeing us at that exact moment was karma,” I sighed sadly, again seeing that look on his face every time I blinked.

“If he really cares about you, he'll learn to forgive and forget,” Ty reassured me.

“Even if there's a small chance he might do that, I never will,” I said, feeling the tears returning.

“Aw, baby girl,” he sighed, pulling me even closer and kissing the top of my head.

That night I stayed in the guest room, but I couldn't sleep. Every time I closed my eyes, there was that look on Nathan's face, that emotionless look that made my chest ache. The silence was painful as I kept hearing his words. I tossed and turned, but couldn't find any comfort in the plush sheets or fluffed pillow. I wanted to run to Nathan, shower him in kisses and beg for forgiveness. I would do whatever he wanted to make it up to him, to prove that that kiss was nothing to me. But, sadly, this is no fairy tale or sappy romance movie. I couldn't cut to the next scene and make up with him like they do in those dramatic movies. All I could do was sit in bed and watch as night turned to day.

****

When Kelsey came to pick me up, she must've known what had happened. By the look on her face, she knew all too well. Instead of going straight home, she pulled up into a coffee shop. We sat in a booth in silence, our hands occupied by Styrofoam cups of warm liquid. She reached out her hand and rested it over mine, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

“Things can only get better from here,” she stated quietly.

I doubted that. I could think of many things that could only make this worse. He could dump me, word could get out to the paparazzi and a lot of bad publicity would get me fired from the show, my faces always showing up in the tabloids could ruin any offers from any dance schools, the fans would side with Nathan and I'd get hate from every social network in the world, and worst of all, I would lose the man I love...wait... what?

“Kelsey, I love him...I can't lose Nathan,” I suddenly said, coming to fully realize that, yes, yes I love Nathan James Sykes.

She didn't seem surprised by my statement, but only smiled and nodded.

When I got home, the first thing I did was nervously step into the living room. All the boys were there, Siva gave me a reassuring smile as did Jay. Max just nodded with a small smile and Tom...Tom stood up and gave me a strong hug that could say so many things. I hugged him back and took a deep breath.

“He's in his room,” he mumbled quietly.