19) Not Backing Down

Did I save her?
Did I get there in time?

All I last saw was the horror on Momo's face, was that it?
There has to be more.
Wake up! Dammit! Wake up!

"Dahyun! Dahyun!" A muffled voice echoed. It sounded like Jeongyeon.
"The ambulance is on their way." I could hear Sana's voice and before I could understand what happened I blacked out.
.
.
.
It may have been minutes or hours that I passed out, but for me it felt like seconds before I could open my eyes.
When I saw I was in a hospital bed with my own clothes replaced with a white dressing gown, I knew something bad happened.

I looked around and the other girls jumped up to me.
"Are you okay? Do know remember what happened?" Jihyo asked quickly.
"I feel fine, what happened?" I asked.
"You got hit by that falling plank, it hit you right on the me head and you started to bleed." Tzuyu explained.

I felt around my head and sure enough a soft bandage was wrapped around. Yet, that didn't concern me.
"Where's Momo?"
They all looked at each other.
"She's getting checked, she did take a nasty fall after you pushed her out of the way." Mina said.
I felt relieved, I did save her, but still hurt. At least it's not like mine.

"What do we do now?" I questioned the lot of them, but they shook their heads.
"You have to rest, I've contacted your parents and they're speaking with the doctors." Chaeyoung spoke.
"I—... Thanks." I stopped.
The girls started to smile and said their goodbyes.
"Don't do anything heroic." Chaeyoung pointed as she glared almost jokingly.
"I won't." Probably I was lying.

I waited in the silence, trying to recollect my thoughts. Momo maybe hating herself that she was the cause I'm in this state.
I'm not blaming her, no one is to be blamed. I want to tell her that, face-to-face.
I want her to be beside me, telling her that it's okay, but she'll pull away.

I could tell you how many hours I've been here, but I got bored or counting the seconds. If you couldn't tell I'm going insane. It's not like I wanted to be in this state.
Though I got myself in this...

I sat up and I heard a knock from the door.
"Who is it?" I asked.
"Check your phone."
The muffled voice sounded like Momo.
I glanced over just to see my phone vibrating with Momo's caller ID.
Without hesitation I called Momo's name.
"Momo! How are you? I'm sorry for what happeend! I—."
Before I could finished she laughed at my reaction.
"Slow down. I'm fine, you're the one I'm suppose to ask if you're okay."

I looked through the window and saw her ducking just below that I was able to see her through the glass.
"Hey."
"Hey."
I could see her wrapped left arm in a cast with a sling, she waved her right hand in which she held her phone in.
"How are you feeling? How's your head?" She asked.
"I feel mildly okay, it doesn't hurt that much."

Momo snickered, but then stopped.
"What was funny?" I asked, almost out of self consciousness.
"You always act like so tough." She shook her head as she sat down on the floor.
"Just like when I got stabbed." I said jokingly, but Momo stopped.
"How can you joke on something like that?" She raised her voice in another octave, I can see how horrified she was.

"Well... It was in the past so I just assumed we could laugh about it." In my defence it didn't bother me as much, surprisingly...
"You could have died!" She shouted even I could hear her through the window.
"But I didn't... heh." I stopped smiling as she crossed her right hand into her sling.
"I-I shouldn't joke about it. I'm sorry." I quickly apologised.

She glared at me before she smiled.
"I'm sorry I can't be there with you."
"Come on, nothing will happen to me."
"I'm serious, the only thing that protects us is this barrier between us." She said.