The Sword or the Knee

Shirou POV

After Walhart & Gilgamesh went back into the palace, reinforcements arrived & we came up with our final battle plan. But before we went inside, Nicole came to me with a warning.

Nicole: You should know something about my Father, my Mother told me that a darkness resides within his body now. So if you don't finish him quickly, you BOTH may be consumed.

Shirou: Thanks for the message...

Davis: Before we go in... there's something I should do first.

Shirou: What do you need to do?

Davis: I'm just gonna try something real quick, I'm pretty sure we'll need it.

*Davis inhales & then exhales, he then grips his right wrist & courses energy through the Fell Grimoire*

Davis: By this Command Seal, I order a soul of the dead to return from within me for the coming battle!

Just then, a familiar-looking man appears out of purple smoke next to Davis.

Archer: *Cracks neck* Never thought I'd be back here.

Chrom: Archer?! How is this possible?!

Davis: Even with a Dead Count Command Seal, this isn't something that I can do that often. His soul also returns within me as soon as the next battle ends.

Shirou: Well... this is certainly unexpected...

Archer: How 'bout we quit the talking & get to fighting, I can't wait for you to kick the crap outta' that bastard Gilgamesh.

Shirou: You know Gilgamesh?

Archer: Yes actually, I started off in Valm when I first came back to this time, & we had a pretty brutal fight, I never used Unlimited Blade Works though. But that's a really dumb question to ask ME of all people...

Shirou: Why's that?

Archer: Because, A: I already LIVED everything you guys are going through right now, by the way I'm not telling you guys anything, & B: My soul had been inside of Davis since I died, & I know everything he does.

Shirou: Oh...

Davis: We're getting too far off track, let's just get in there & win!

Chrom: Agreed.

We then busted our way into the palace & began our assault on Walhart's forces, while Chrom, Robin & I charged through the middle, everyone else cleared the way for us by taking on his troops & generals besides Gilgamesh. After running for who knows how long through his troops, we finally made it to Walhart himself.

Chrom: Walhart!

Walhart: Prince...

Chrom: Will you surrender?

Walhart: Don't waste my time with questions you know the answers to, boy.

Chrom: It did not have to be this way... You believe in mankind's strength... So did my sister. You believe that we are masters of our destinies... So do I. You could have joined us.

Walhart: ME, JOIN YOU?! Does a pegasus join with the flea on its back? A dragon, with a cow it eats?! You forget your place, BOY. I am the Conqueror! I will unite the world!

Chrom: No! ...I will...& not by forcing all the people to choose the sword or the knee. Peace will only come by stoking people's hearts...not their fear.

Walhart: You think that's what you've done? What your sister did before you? No, she shouted some nonsense & leapt off a rock! Such weakness!

Chrom: Wrong. Not weakness—strength. That one act lives on, & WILL live on, longer than all your conquests...

Walhart: ...& longer than you will... Come then, flea, & die for your peace!

Chrom: Emm, I tried...

Chrom then engaged Walhart in single combat while Robin & I gave him covering fire with magic & my bow respectively. While on the other hand Davis, Archer, Artoria & the others fended off the rest of the troops. After a while, Robin & I had managed to topple Walhart's horse, which distracted him enough for Chrom to land a fatal blow to Walhart.

Walhart: Nngh... Do you see? Often the sword...is the only way... My conquest...ends here...

Chrom: Well... that ends that...

Shirou: Not yet...

*Gilgamesh enters; Everyone besides Shirou backs away*

Gilgamesh: Right you are Faker... now I recommend you say your final words to your friends before you die.

Shirou: I don't need to... they already know what I'd say. But there is something I'd like to let YOU know.

Gilgamesh: *Smirks* Oh? ...& what would that be Faker?

Shirou: Ever since I created Trace, I always thought my ability was to make swords, as well as the occasional shield...

(Imagine all of the Shepherds there & with Shirou & Gilgamesh in their "uniforms"; Ignore all terminology unrelated to this story)

Shirou: *Turns to Archer* Thanks for the save.

Archer: *Becomes see-through* No problem, *Smirks* too bad I can't save your ass too much any more.

*Archer dissipates into purple dust, which reenter Davis' body*

Shirou: That's definitely weird...

Davis: Tell me about it...

*Short Timeskip*

Frederick: Milord! Walhart's soldiers have agreed to cease hostilities.

Chrom: Finally... Then pull our men back immediately. ...It's strange, Frederick... Walhart & my sister were complete opposites. One gave her life to stop a war. The other took lives to create one...& yet they both inspired those around them; both walked a path to end all war. Both lived, & died, trying to unite the people.

Lucina: Yes, Father, but as they say, the method is the message. Your father suffered from beliefs similar to Walhart, & his legacy is plain to see...

Chrom: Mmm...these are matters too weighty for this moment. There will be plenty of time for reflection now that the war is done.

*Say'ri enters*

Say'ri: Sir Chrom, a thousand thanks from every Valmese couldn't repay what you did for us. But I recovered Vert, the Gemstone that was stolen from Chon'sin as a trophy.

Chrom: You're giving it to me?

Say'ri: Of course, sir. It seems the Fell Dragon will soon threaten us all. I would feel safer knowing the Gemstone was in your hands.

Chrom: Then so it will be. Thank you, Say'ri.

*Short Timeskip*

Chrom: Are we packed and saddled? Our business in Valm is finished, but we have another task ahead. One perhaps even more dire than we faced here... To Ylisstol!