Epilogue:The Boss

“What?” The Boss gasped incoherently. His jaw dropped open. And then he remembered what the Lab Assistant that had run in said- he needed to get to this laboratory, and he needed to get there now! He could not afford to lose this laboratory- besides the people inside of it.

The Boss realized that there was no possible way that he would have time to get there the normal way. There was only one way that he could get there now, but it always made him nauseous. Oh, well. He would just have to deal with that.

But when he did finally arrive there in a matter of minutes, what he saw was likely the scariest thing of his life. And then, the teleportation device behind him caught on fire. Now, there was no way out. He was going to have to travel through the heart of the inferno to get to the doorway. If that was not already burned down too.

No, he reminded himself, I have to look at the bright side. At least I was not in the teleportation device when it went on fire. If it had, then I would have been caught between this world and space.

And because that thought was true, it gave him the strength and the courage to go on. That and the fact that there was a chance that he could save some people on his way out helped to fuel those. Besides, was he just supposed to stand there and let himself burn to death? I think not.

Slowly, he began his journey through the blazing inferno. As he walked he could not help but wonder how his life had been reduced to such things. He, the leader of his laboratory- a very coveted position, was forced to be walking through a fire. He did not know why they had not even given him a way out. It was not like they could have known that he would not be able to get out, right?

The Boss was being ridiculous!

There was no possible way that anybody would try to replace him. He was irreplaceable. Right? Besides, there was not like there was much that he could do right now from his current position. The only thing that he could do was hope to make it out alive, and find out how this had happened to him afterwards.

He wondered why the sudden transfer of Lab Assistant 217 had been requested- she seemed to be doing fine under his laboratory’s watchful eyes, and it was not like she would be doing any different in any other place.  What else could she be needed or wanted for? She was a friendly person, but the Boss seriously doubted that that was why they had wanted her to transfer places.

People could not have begun to notice that they were beginning to become friends, right? Because that would be a valid reason for her to be transferred. As a general, non-spoken rule, the Boss, or leader of a laboratory was not really supposed to be close to anyone in or under his or her power. It was thought to be a bad impression.

“Please, help me.”

The Boss’ eyes shot downwards, connecting with the eyes of a bone-white faced man. He was covered in sweat, pinned down by the heavy beam that had fallen from the ceiling. The Boss was at a loss for words. “I am sorry, but I do not think that I can lift away this-”

The man waved his hands back and forth. “No, no, not that. I know that there is no way for me to get out alive.” He put his hands into his pocket, obviously trying to pull something about. The Boss’ eyes followed his movements closely. “This is my sister. Please…If you find her, tell her…tell her that I never forgot her.”

“I-all right,” The Boss whispered, almost too quietly. The man on the ground nodded his smile almost comically happy. The Boss was happy with himself, knowing that he had placed that smile on the man’s face. He stood there for a moment longer, taking in the almost serenity that now surrounded the place that he was standing.

The man’s eyes never opened again.

The Boss glanced at the photograph that he held tightly grasped in his fist. Even though he had already left the smiling man behind, he had not glanced at what had been given to him. It almost felt as though that would ruin the peace that his mind now contained.

He was right. The moment he glanced down at the picture his body froze. His mouth was in a small “o” and his legs had frozen mid-step.

The face in the picture…He knew who it was. Everyone who had any sort of authority knew who it was! Of course, he did not have exact names, but still, he knew who it was! This girl, that man’s little sister was the leader of the revolution! How dare that man presume that the Boss may know her!

He almost made the motion to throw it into the flames, but something stopped him. Maybe it was the look of happiness after the Boss had agreed to do it for him. Maybe it was the fact that it was the man’s dying wish. But whatever it was, the Boss could only sigh before tucking it into his coat. He could deal with it later.

As soon as he tucked it in, he gasped.

There was a huge strip of fire right in front of him.

Immediately, he shied back, trying to shield himself from getting burnt. Luckily, he did not. But how was he supposed to get to the other side now?

I am sorry that I will not be able to help you, sir. I have broken my promise to you. There is nothing that I can do. I am so very sorry to do this to you.

~Four Weeks Later~

The Boss gazed up into the face of someone that he had never thought that he would see before.

“Your brother asked me to say that he never forgot you. It was his dying wish.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And just for the record: Whether or not Lab Assistant 217 died is completely and utterly up to you. I wanted this to be kind of open ended, because in our world, unlike Domini's we all have choices.

Thanks to everyone who read/or stuck with this story until the very end! THANK YOU SO MUCH! YOU ALL HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH Y'ALL MEAN TO ME! :D

XxTheDarkAngelxX