Chapter One

Okay. This is my first story that I have posted on here, I hope you like it. Please, if you notice any mistakes grammatically, or if you want something clarified please tell me, Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Her bituminous shoes clicked against the effete linoleum floor. Her shoes, like everything else in the laboratory, were sterlized. She came to a sudden halt at the end of the hallway, directly opposite a statuesque, stainless steel door. As her quivering hand rose to knock the doors smoothly and eloquently slid apart. "Come in!" A cacophonous voice called from within the office. She gathered her courage and walked inside, shoes reverbrating throughout the cavernous room. The Boss looked up from the many computers on his desk and straightened his badge when she appeared directly before him. "Hello Lab Assistant," he paused and  inspected her badge, "217. How can I be of service to you?"

Lab Assistant 217 tried to hide the trepidation in her voice when she responded. "Good afternoon, Sir. Reported at 8:23 ante meridiem, another seventeen teenagers have been reported missing. As of now, all of them are presumed to be inert." As she finished, the Boss'  head fell into his hands and he emitted a groan-like noise.

"That makes fifty-three missing in three weeks. All of them presumed to be inert- as of now, they have not been found and are unlikely to ever be found." The Boss looked as though he was about to explode from sheer pressure. Out of anyone, the Boss had to feel it the most.

"Well Boss, there is some good news. The F. B. O. P. - Federal Bureau of Protection- managed to get a child, a young girl, before she became inert. Her name is Domini Jetson and she is currently residing in the solitary confinement room."

"Send for the interrogator. Lab Assistant 217, you are dismissed." His voice had gone back to its usual astringent tone. Lab Assistant 217 nodded and left, a little more than slightly relieved to be out of his presence. As she left, an abhorrent scent filled the room; it was what was left of the teenagers who were now inert. Sometimes the Boss really hated his job.

These children- because that's all they really are- had chosen to annihilate themselves. The Boss empathized with them- as much as he could empathize. This job had destroyed his emotions for good.

(Flashback)

An acrid scent had filled his nose; it was something that you could never forget. It was the single worst thing that he had ever smelt in his life. Everyone else had smelled it, but none had seemed to react to the extent that he did. They were graduating that day, and would get their (limited) job options. Genders were seperated, and not all of the women could get the same status as the men. Very few ever could. Most people only got one or two, with the really intelligent getting three or four. Zamon hoped that he would  get three or four, but knew that it was irrational.

Out of all the things he remembered though, the stress was what stood out the most. If you got good job options, then everyone cheered and your family was extremely happy. However, if not, you got destroyed by your family- not to mention society. It was that simple: For the rest of your life you would be considered an outcast. It was sometimes the most horrible thin he could imagine: to become an outcast.

"Zamo Otto, come forth. You, being a middle-ranking graduate have two different options of what to do with you life." Zamon thought that it was pretty good, considering what others had gotten. "You can either be the head of security or head of scietific research at the lab of your choice." While the voice of the announcer was flat, the roaring of the crowd filled his ears. Zamon had done so much better than expected. His friend had not.

Zamon found his friends' body the next day. It was the single most horrifying thing he had ever seen in his life.

"Sir, sir!" The interrogator was leaning over the desk. The Boss tried his best to seem normal when he responded, as soon as his scrambled brain came back together.