Chapter 18

Lab Assistant 217 felt like something was very wrong. As of yet, she did not know what that something could be, only that it was wrong and that was irritating her. She liked being in charge of her situation, and right now she could not be. It was not a fun ordeal for anyone or anything to go through, even if the person in question is a Lab Assistant and will probably remain one for the rest of her natural and unnatural life.

Lab Assistant 217 shuddered at the thought of being brought back from the dead once her time was up….

Slowly she shook her head, attempting to rid herself of such morbid thoughts. It did not really work, so she tried to change what she was thinking about. In the effort to do that, it brought her back to her current precarious predicament. Somehow, she was in a place that she had never seen nor heard of. It almost seemed like she was in a sort of laboratory, even though that was entirely impossible. Lab Assistant 217 had visited every single laboratory in all of Utopia as a part of her entrance into her job.

So how come she had never seen or heard of this particular laboratory?                            

In fact, she did not even think that she could remember anyone ever speaking of this laboratory. That seemed very odd to her. Generally, every single laboratory always spoke to and of one another, just to make sure that neither really needed help with anything that they were doing. Sometimes, if the situation arose, they switched around lab assistants, cleaners, and other such things. They had always kept contact, even before Lab Assistant 217 had become Lab Assistant 217.

That meant that if this laboratory was one that Lab Assistant 217 had never heard or seen of it had to be either very special and the people who knew about it were not permitted to speak of it, or that nobody actually knew of it and Lab Assistant 217 was the first citizen of Utopia to have found it.

As of right now, she still had not quite been able to grasp exactly what had happened to her. It was something that she had never heard of anyone ever doing before. She had of just spontaneously combusted, except for the fact that she was still alive, and that it had not been as sudden as spontaneous combustion would be. She had kind of slowly began to disappear.

Lab Assistant 217 had originally noticed that her appendages were beginning to feel odd as she began to traverse up to the Boss’ office to share her information with him. Her arms, which had become the first to disappear, almost felt like they were shaking. It was after she went to speak with the Boss that she realized that her hands and arms were not there anymore.

She finally decided that she needed to start looking around the room that she was currently being held within. It surprised her that she had not done that yet, but it did make sense to figure out what had originally happened to her.

The room seemed completely sterile, and it smelled like it was too. The walls and the floor were both white. A single piece of furniture was in the room that she could see, and currently, Lab Assistant 217 was sitting upon it. There was no door in sight, but Lab Assistant 217 knew that that did not mean that there actually was no door.

“Hello Lab Assistant 217. We have been waiting for you for a very long time.”

All of the color drained from Lab Assistant 217’s face as she heard the one voice that had hoped to never hear in her life again.

Domini’s head really hurt, and she felt quite groggy. It was insanely bothersome to deal with, but there was really not much that she could do to deal with that. Of course, she could always just get Aliyah to see if she could help Domini figure out what was wrong with her and why her head hurt so very much. It was something that Domini did not want to deal with having, but it looked as though she would have no choice.