Chapter 20

This letter held nothing of importance! It just held some random things that Aliyah could deal with later. There were only a few things that might need dealing with soon, but those could still wait for a bit. Mr. and Mrs. Jetson would be here at any moment now, and Aliyah still had absolutely no idea as to what she was going to say to them. How was she supposed to tell them that their daughter had been lost while under her care? Mrs. Jetson would murder her! Mr. Jetson might, but he would probably understand things more so that Mrs. Jetson could right now.

Aliyah actually was not sure how much Mrs. Jetson knew right now. The last she had heard, Mrs. Jetson did not know anything. It was likely that that had changed because they were coming here, but Aliyah still did not know exactly how much Mrs. Jetson knew. Mr. Jetson would not want Aliyah to tell Mrs. Jetson anything more than what she had already been told. He would probably want to break it to her carefully. That was something that Aliyah would be unable to do.

Aliyah was quick and efficient. Being in the position that was in did not leave much room for one to think about others’ feelings. She was no exception to that rule; she simply took it a bit further than most might. To Aliyah, she needed to prove that she was worth having this position. Nobody else really knew that, but Aliyah needed, for herself, to be hard and unyielding. Otherwise, there was no guaranteeing that she would ever get anything done the way that it needed to be done.

But anyways, Aliyah needed to figure out what she was going to do next. This was not a time for self-pity.

Alright. Maybe she should try and script everything- or at least, her parts, out in her head. There was no telling how Mr. and Mrs. Jetson would react to anything that Aliyah said. She really did not know them well enough to be able to guess something like that.

So how are you both doing? I’m assuming that your journey was not-

No. That did not sound very formal, nor did it sound right. They would all be in Aliyah’s office when they were talking so as to avoid interruption. The conversation had to be formal enough. Plus, Aliyah would likely be sitting behind her desk.

There was a knock on her office door.

Hurriedly, Aliyah made sure that everything in her office was neat and arranged. She did not know who was coming, but no matter what, her office needed to look neat and straightened up. Glancing at both letters for another moment, Aliyah shoved them both into a drawer of her desk for safekeeping. She hoped that she would remember which drawer it was after her guests had left.

She settled herself down behind her desk into her chair, making sure that she looked and felt professional.

“Enter!” She called out, her voice clear and concise. It took a little work, but it was doable.

Two people stepped in. Two very haggard and worn out people stepped into Aliyah’s office. She drew in a gasp- a very loud, completely shocked gasp.

Mr. and Mrs. Jetson were not supposed to be here yet!

 Aliyah was supposed to have more time.