xxii. Women

♚ Zayn's POV ♚

Being king isn't all it's cut out to be, especially since you aren't even allowed to sleep in late in the mornings.

I was woken up early by the harsh pulling of curtains, bright light hitting my eyes painfully.

I had to blink several times before they adjusted, focusing on the beautiful girl next to me, her pink nightdress sleeve starting to fall off her tiny shoulder. Her mouth was slightly open, soft snores escaping even though she claimed she never snored when she slept. Her long lashes fanned out on top of her cheeks, already so long I didn't understand why she even wore mascara. Her hair was a bit ruffled up, but that was to be expected since Odette was quite the toss-and-turner when she just started to fall asleep. She was perfect.

I think I liked Odette when she slept so much because she couldn't hide everything she would when she's awake. She could claim she never snored, but night after night I would hear the same heavy breathing and surprisingly soft snores leave her weakened body. She might try to fix her hair perfectly to the last strand, but it all came loose and wild from constantly rolling over and moving her pillow.

I kissed her exposed shoulder before pulling her nightdress sleeve back up, watching as Odette stirred slightly before falling back into a deep sleep.

"Your Majesty, it's time to get ready." Falene announced as she bowed customarily to me before grabbing my arm and yanking me out of bed.

I barely had time to kiss my little swan goodbye before I was dragged to my closet by Falene, who was so excited and hurried getting me dressed that it felt like I had barely blinked before I was ready for the day.

I was dressed in a red military uniform, which probably meant a military meeting that I needed to be at was today. Falene kept humming obsessively, never pausing as she fixed my hair and uniform until it was picture perfect.

"Your Majesty is very busy today. First you have a medal awarding ceremony for a brave soldier at 8:00, then a military meeting to discuss Revolutionary activity with your generals at 10:00, then Ivy wants to speak with you at 11:30, then lunch with Odette at 12:00, free time from 12:00 to 2:00, then another military meeting at 3:30." Falene quickly rambled off, but I was only paying half-attention to everything. I was still mostly asleep, my mind only registering that I got to eat lunch with Odette today.

"And now for the exciting part," Falene clapped her hands together and bounced around in excitement. "Your Majesty, do you know what day it is?"

It took me a little while to remember. "Uh, October 15th I think. Why?"

"I just got off the phone last night with someone who told me something interesting. Apparently a special someone's seventeenth birthday happens to be on October 22nd." Falene told me, giving me a sly look. Someone was turning seventeen? It wasn't any family members, I'm the only one who's seventeen. Maybe Ivy? At least, I was pretty sure she was still sixteen...

Falene huffed in annoyance before lightly slapping me on the arm.

"It's Odette's seventeenth birthday on the 22nd dummy!" Falene scolded me, and I rubbed my eyes in exhaustion. Of course it would be Odette's, Ivy's was in the spring.

"She'll be turning seventeen?" I yawned.

Falene nodded. "Her mother called me to tell you that Odette's birthday is approaching. She claims Odette was always very shy growing up, and never really cared for extravagant birthday parties. However, she was never one to not invite people, often allowing her guests' siblings and friends to come as well." I smiled at this before peeking out at my personal Sleeping Beauty, now hugging my pillow for warmth now that I was missing from our bed. That seemed like Odette, so nice she considered everyone else's feelings, even on her own birthday.