xxi. State of the Empire

♞ Ivy's POV ♞

Due to my other duties involving Zayn's speech and training the Elites for a possible Revolutionary attack, I hadn't visited Aaron in weeks. He was my eyes and ears of the city, and I blamed myself partly for Delia's assassination. Had I asked Aaron before the coronation if anything was going on, he probably would've been able to warn me beforehand.

So here I was, parked in front of the same bar at 8:30, my first stop of two tonight. Zayn's speech (while terribly improvised and not at all what I had wanted) had been a success, and I'm pretty sure he and Odette were having a movie night in the Manor's theater room in celebration, complete with popcorn, candy, and some make outs in the dark room. Hey, it was bound to happen.

I stayed in my car for a few moments, just thinking. Aaron's payment was on the inside pocket of my coat, a few minor illegal substances slipped in among a decent amount of cash. I never questioned Aaron's choices, only offered him his desired payment.

Sucking in a breath, I got out of my car and headed for the bar. It was crowded as usual, the smell of alcohol and cigarettes lingering heavily in the air. I ignored the drunk twenty year olds having fun, taking my seat at our usual table in the corner.

I stared at the people around me while I waited for Aaron to show up, catching a flirty look from one fairly attractive male with a beer in his hand. He couldn't have been older than twenty, and he winked at me. I didn't do anything, only turn away from his dominating gaze. To return his flirty stare would be wrong, the guilt would eat me alive.

Boys seemed to be drawn into my physical features, a kind of bad girl look intriguing them. Their fascination only went skin-deep though, my personality and job not one to keep most boys around. I wasn't like Odette.

She was charming, I was cunning.

She was sweet, I was sour.

She was innocent, I had been exposed to so many evils in my life already.

The boy seemed to realize that I wasn't interested, turning to talk to his group of rowdy friends again. I didn't think about it too much though, since Aaron had arrived.

He didn't look much different, maybe a few more tattoos from my last payment to him. He was alone, a lazy smile gracing his features as he saw me. He slid into his chair, already pulling a cigarette and lighter out of his pocket. He offered one to me, but I swiftly declined.

"Nice to see you again, babe." He smirked, and I pulled his payment out of my pocket, sliding it quickly over to him. He nodded happily after inspecting the contents of the little bag.

"What would you like to know Victoria?"

"Did you find out who the leader of the Revolution is?" I asked hastily, not wanting to waste any time.

"Not exactly." Aaron puffed on his cigarette. I gave him a glare.

"You were supposed to find out exactly who the Leader is. That's what the payment was for."

"Well sorry, Victoria, but I didn't get a specific name. Its not all my fault, none of the Revolutionaries I talked to knew an exact name. They all referred to them as the Leader." Aaron held his hands up in defense, and I rubbed my temples with my fingertips. Aaron was useless this time.

"Do you know anything at all?"

"I do know one thing. One Revolutionary in particular was very helpful."

"What did he tell you?"

"The Leader may be closer to achieving his plans than we thought, Victoria. The Empire could be in grave danger." Aaron admitted, blowing a ring of smoke into my face. I held my breath, refusing to let the nicotine into my lungs. I let the information process slowly, my eyes closing shut as a strong migraine settled in my mind.