ii. Swans

Odette's POV

It was dark outside, flashes of lightbulbs illuminating the streets as we drove by. We cut through traffic like a blade, quick and precise. Zayn and I were currently sitting in a stretch limousine, windows dark and apparently, as Zayn told me when we entered, bulletproof. I didn't see why, though maybe it was because since Zayn had a lot of money, robbers would try and steal from him. Better safe than sorry, right?

My fingers stroked the fancy leather seating I rested on, admiring its touch and beauty. Zayn was watching me intensely, like a lion watching over his pride. I tried my best not to meet his gaze, that would be rather awkward for both of us. Still, Zayn stared on, and I noticed a smile tug up the corners of his lips as he did so. I blushed, and he turned away, watching scenery flash by like I was before. He was Zayn...I couldn't wrap my mind around it. The awkward, shy boy from nine years ago was replaced by a powerful, seductive teenage male. It was quite amazing.

Lights flickered and flashed all around us as we went through a tunnel, my eyes taking in every detail. I had never been driven to this part of town before, and I was excited to see my new home, one I would share with Zayn. My heart pounded in my chest from anticipation, my hands working to smooth my pale white gown.

Now that I had secured someone who was interested in me, I had to keep the interest going. Zayn couldn't get bored with me, or I might never get his Mark, and then I was basically treated as a toy among five-year-olds. I could be thrown out of the house, being treated terribly and thrown around from man to man, never truly claimed as someone's. The thought frightened me more than death, hopefully I was good enough for Zayn so he would keep me.

Suddenly the limousine stopped abruptly, my body lurching forward with the movement. Zayn's arm reached to push me back, but my body had already stopped before he could touch me. Zayn offered me a small smile before speaking.

"Sorry, I forgot about the security." Security? He was that well off that he needed security? Wow. I heard the driver speaking to someone through the glass window, the security man addressing him as Mr. Walters. The driver pulled forward slowly, Zayn unbuckling his seat belt and shifting over to me, his body sat right next to mine. He rolled down my window, his hand gesturing towards outside, whispering in my ear. "Welcome to your new home."

My first thought was of how huge the place was, and when I say huge, I meant it. It had to be at least three times the size of the large mansion the Christmas ball and courting event was, with huge gardens extending from the white building. The house was like a palace, covered in architectural designs and very expensive looking. The limo pulled up to the front of the huge residence, my eyes never leaving the picture perfect white walls, that is, until I noticed a decent number of people standing on the steps to the door. Men dressed in suits and women in maid's uniforms stood on the steps, a larger crowd of people standing at the door.

Zayn got out of the car first, walking over to open the door for me, holding out his hand to help me up. I had to admit, he was quite the gentlemen. I held onto his arm as we started to walk towards the steps, maids and servants bowing at the waist or curtseying as we trekked upward. I kept my eyes focused on the crowd at the door, pulling my shoulders back to help my posture, and putting on my best smile like Mother instructed me years ago. If I impressed Zayn, I would have to completely charm his family.

Four women stood at the door, only one older male present. The older woman and man must have been Mr. and Mrs. Malik, the three younger women (well, two of them looked to still be teenagers), I assumed were his sisters. They all had long dark hair, tan complexions, and appearances remarkable to Zayn's. Zayn's father was clean shaven, inky black hair trimmed and perfect. Mrs. Malik was the palest of the family, but she was much more tan than I could ever hope to be.