xiv. The Royal Beach House

♡ Odette's POV ♡

A soft buzzing was the only sound in the room as I quietly watched historic events unfold in front of my eyes. The room was dimly lit, and I found that a matter of high concern, but apparently it was fine for everyone else. There was only a small tabletop and two chairs in the cramped space, leaving Ivy and I to stand as the two chairs were currently occupied. No one spoke; not me, not Ivy, not the artist, not even the boy he whose skin he was marking. Everyone else was still in the bunker, but we had managed to sneak into the huge white mansion for this.

These were sacred events, at least as sacred as getting a tattoo could be. That's what Ivy had told me, anyways.

Ivy and I stood in the corner of the room, watching from a safe distance as the tattoo artist worked his magic.

Zayn's wrist was placed on the tabletop, the inked black crown the only tattoo there still. He didn't say anything, only gripped the chair with his free hand as the tattoo artist began.

If my king was in pain, he didn't show it. The only evidence of his anguish was the steady raucous grip on his seat, but I pretended not to notice.

More swirling designs were added onto the crown Mark, flowing from the ancient text and wrapping around his arm. I watched in fascination as the some swirls became words and others pictures in a matter of minutes.

"The Mark of the King." Ivy whispered to me, as if speaking was forbidden while getting a tattoo in this family.

"The Mark of the King? That's what it is?" I asked, and Ivy nodded, sleek black hair draping over her shoulder.

"Whenever a new ruler is crowned, they get it. Delia would have gotten it had..." Ivy didn't bother finishing her sentence. She didn't need to. The wounds were still fresh, no need to rub salt in them.

"Oh," was my hesitant reply. I gripped my hands together tightly, a sudden thought occurring to me.

What if Zayn told me to sit in his chair next?

What if he told me to get his Mark now?

A wave of excitement rushed over me, but was soon extinguished as more thoughts were created in my mind.

Why would you get his Mark now? Because he's king? Because two of his cousins were brutally murdered mere hours earlier in the day?

I shook my head furiously, trying to get rid of the terrible thoughts.

Just because so many things had happened today didn't mean that changed anything between us. He was still Zayn and I was still Odette, and we were still standing on two figurative islands miles apart, when we were meant to be on one together. Neither of us was brave enough yet to step in the water, much less swim in the treacherous seas to rescue the other. We had just had our first proper kiss for God's sake, obviously Zayn wasn't going to ask me to get his Mark.

I felt my emotions deflate a little inside me. I wasn't completely part of the family yet.

But that doesn't mean I won't be eventually, I reminded myself optimistically.

I cleared my mind and turned my attention back to my king, who allowed himself a small grimace before returning to his perfect poker face.

"Tell the servants to prepare a limo for the Manor." Zayn spoke to Ivy, interrupting the long silence in a strained voice.

"I don't believe that is a good idea, your Majesty." Ivy answered him, reminding me I would have to start addressing him more properly now.

"And why not?" Zayn asked, turning his gaze from the tattoo to us. His caramel eyes seemed harder, more refined.